My first tank

GoldenMotor.com

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
I just had to try this tank thing cause dads bike just looked too ridiculous with that toy tank on it. I've been welding for well many years and was inspired by this site and some of the stuff you guys come up with. Anyone who does this knows how much work goes into it and so no I won't be making these for fifty bucks and a six pack. Never mind my dismay when he did a no sealer no primer 5 minute paint job and instantly spilled gas on it. I sorta wanted to just kill him then and there.
I have a better idea now and some patterns made and some new clamps that will make this kind of thing easier though never quick. The contour marking was a pita. This is just carbon steel 18ga sheet tig welded. It has too much labor in it to let that paint job fly I'll get that fixed myself.

Attachments

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
It holds exactly 2 litre pop bottle full of gas. Now that I tried it out on the bike I could have gone some wider in the center section. Not enough though with the springer it would hit the front of the tank. I'm gonna go higher next time and try building a tunnel type tank. First I have to finish my metal brake. I want to build a one gallon tank so I need about 240 cubic inches of area to do that so its got to go up. I'm going to use my cranbrook with my smaller opening for that tank. It's not a great bike but maybe a good fixturing device lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Spiffy tank! Nice welding work.
I couldn't weld my way out of a paper bag hehehe.

I do however urge you not to make and install a $100 tank for and install on a $85 Huffy Cranbrook bike. I won't name all the reasons but I'm sure you know them.

This topic caught my eye because I to need some alternative gas tanks.
One would be a replacement real tank for a brand new 1903 Felt that has a fake one build on coming up.
Drop me an E if you are interest Jokesonu.

The thing is I already paid for the first of a few custom Under the Seat tanks along the lines of Blow By You's tank.

Hey, if they can get more than the base bike or a whole motor kit costs for a gas tank good for them.
All I know is some of my high end shifter builds on really nice bikes need an Under Seat tank based on a 4x10" 'Keg' type cylinder, but yet easy to gas up.

These two pics don't show the Caddy the first tank is going on, it's my bike because it has a rack to hold the 4" diameter bottle in place.

Yes, that was a brand new bottle of whiskey yesterday, but no longer virgin tonight ;-}

The first prototype tank I have coming is based on this from the same outfit here in Arizona that does tank work for NASA and **** pumping out 100K tanks a year but still do custom work.

Other than the aluminum cylinder all the other stuff is my design for where the gas comes out and goes in, and it was less than $120 delivered.

My only point besides giving you kudo's for your welding job jokeson is there are many more options on a bike to store fuel is all.
If you have the talent pursue it, and you can start with a Felt tank.
Cranbrook buyers aren't going to spring for $120 tank, $600 Felt bike buyers however might. Follow?

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
Thanks KC. I get what your saying about the cranbrook. I wasn't thinking towards selling anything. I have one so I have a pattern and a need. I am an older guy and the thing I learned a long time ago is if you turn a hobby into a job its now work. I've done that with computers and photography. I have a job. And I spend more time being anal about welding than I should. When you get into thin material fitup is critical. It's either good or bad there is no good enough.

I can tell you though that 300 dollar tank is a joke. I can't weld aluminum anyway cause all I have is a dc inverter and you need ac to weld aluminum. I don't and wont have a planishing hammer or english wheel or a hydropress those tools cost megabucks. I will make a steel keg tank only I won't use tank domes I'll cut bonnet heads. I think it would look cool. I've never seen them on anything only flat caps or tank domes.

About that felt. You send me one and I'll send you a tank.flg.(^). I love that bike but I have never seen one up close. Hmm db4 stainless would be awesome. A pain to work with but worth it for that bike. You need to talk to Sportscarpat for a tank like that.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
That's a slick tank, I do wish someone would make a generic style cantilever tank. Maybe a two piece type of setup that would work for the majority of frames. Something that would bolt together, maybe tool/storage one one side and gas on the other.

jokesonu

Aug 23, 2010
Moses Lake Wa
You might have a good idea there darkhawk. A two piece tank. I was thinking a tunnel type. Either way you use a crossover line to equalize the fill and drain and that's no problem. I have 3 bikes the old 48 schwinn, the murray is the one in the pic and the cranbrook. All three have different openings so unless you tool up for everything you have to come up with something more universal. I actually have as much fun making the tank as I do riding the darn bike lol. I am in the process of moving to my new place but withing the next couple weeks I am going to work on the new tank. Anyway it was great fun taking the hammer to the old peanut tank lol take that you pos!

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
I'm sure most of us would settle for some accurate templates when someone who isn't in the business comes up with a great tank idea. Nice work!