Help with question

GoldenMotor.com

swanman

Jul 9, 2010
Florida
I had to buy a new 10 tooth sprocket for my engine. when the new one arrived, it fit very loose. Called up the company and was told to try it anyway...that's all they sell. Needless to say i did try it, and now the little key, that fits in the groove of the sprocket is gone. My question is this..that little half moon piece on metal they sell, is that what i need to get to replace what I lost on the shaft. Thanks for any help.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
A thread started a few days ago...

http://motorbicycling.com/f34/10-tooth-sprocket-problem-20721.html

Be sure that the sprocket fits snug on the shaft. The end of the shaft is slightly tapered. The bore in the sprocket is slightly tapered. Although most will interchange, just be aware that there are some odd ones out there.

If your sprocket goes onto the shaft all the way up to the bearing...and the sprocket rocks on the shaft...the bore in the sprocket is too large for the shaft.

Jim

katoomer

Jul 15, 2010
Rose City MI
Your question is about the key. If you are unsure about it. You may have never pulled one out before. They are often half moon shaped. Google up woodruff key and there is a host of illistrations and information that may help you in your question about it.

Your sprocket must fit snug though or like it did before, it will destroy the woodruff key in short order.

Look very closely at the grove in the shaft and you should be able to see if your application would take the moon shaped key. Chances are if "they" sell one, its probably the one that fits if you are looking at where you purchased your engine.