Friction Drive Setup Anyone.?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well, I want to set up a motorized bike for my little wife, she aint but 5'2" and I bought her a 24" womens mountain bike that she can ride pretty good, only thing is, it's a full suspension bike with no possible way to mount a 2 stroke in frame set up, so I've been looking at the friction drive set up for her bike, I found a 52cc 2 stroke engine that has the required 76MM centrifical clutch and is claimed to be a very good engine, it's priced @ $119.00 I'm thinking the 30-40cc 2 & 4 stroke engines would be a little weak in the pants, the 52cc is rated at 2HP and I found another one that is rated @ 4HP but it's $255.00 just for the engine, it's claimed to turn a strong smooth 11,000 RPM's though......maybe a bit much for the wife...! but might suit me just fine....!

Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with the Friction drive set up, I know some have said they will slip when wet but I have seen video of people like "Thats Dax" demonstrating how they have none of the slipping issues with theirs, below is a link to the engines I'm looking at.

Any info. will be appreciated
Shan

49cc/52cc Scooter Engine with Manual Pull Start - EPA Certified

bb88xx

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Hi Shan, I'm using that engine on a BMP( same as what Dax sells) w/ 1.25 in. roller and I really like the FD! It's a well made & easy starting engine w/ lots of power. It is loud. I'm now setting up a 24" Cruiser for my 5'2" daughter using the BMP & a Robin 35cc w/ the 1" roller. Performance wise w/ the Mitsi clone on a 26" Micargi Cruiser: I'm 205 lbs. & it'll do 27 mph on level ground. The BMP is a quality USA made product. I have not had it in the rain to tell U anything abt slipping. Most guys do experience some. Good Luck.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hi Shan, I'm using that engine on a BMP( same as what Dax sells) w/ 1.25 in. roller and I really like the FD! It's a well made & easy starting engine w/ lots of power. It is loud. I'm now setting up a 24" Cruiser for my 5'2" daughter using the BMP & a Robin 35cc w/ the 1" roller. Performance wise w/ the Mitsi clone on a 26" Micargi Cruiser: I'm 205 lbs. & it'll do 27 mph on level ground. The BMP is a quality USA made product. I have not had it in the rain to tell U anything abt slipping. Most guys do experience some. Good Luck.
Thank you for all the good info. Whizzerd, I am also looking at the US made BMP drive set up, it looks very well made.

One more question: how does your bike do on average size medium grade hills?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The review below the motor add is from a 250 pound person,and they say its powerful,

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The review below the motor add is from a 250 pound person,and they say its powerful,
Yea I saw that review and if he is talking about how it pulls hills I would say that is good considering the 260lb wieght it's pulling, dont have a lot of real big hills where I live here in Texas but I am just courious about how well it will pull a 140-150 pound person up medium size hills.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I ran that GP460 engine with BMP friction drive. I also adapted Staton friction rollers to work with the BMP housing. The 460 was run with 1.25 BMP roller, as well as 1.375" Staton and 1.5" Rubber BMP roller. I installed an ADA S1 expansion pipe with this engine, which quieted it down tremendously and added power. The 1.25" roller really allowed the engine to buzz, but I liked the 1.375" roller better for power and not too buzzy.

Maybe it was my fault, but this engine whittled down the 1.5" rubber roller to less than 1.25" in less than 100 miles. It also cut a groove in the rear tire every inch or so.

This engine does not have low end torque to pull you up hills. It is a screaming demon on the flats, though.

You'll also have to change the 8000rpm clutch springs to something that grabs about 3500rpm.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ran that GP460 engine with BMP friction drive. I also adapted Staton friction rollers to work with the BMP housing. The 460 was run with 1.25 BMP roller, as well as 1.375" Staton and 1.5" Rubber BMP roller. I installed an ADA S1 expansion pipe with this engine, which quieted it down tremendously and added power. The 1.25" roller really allowed the engine to buzz, but I liked the 1.375" roller better for power and not too buzzy.

Maybe it was my fault, but this engine whittled down the 1.5" rubber roller to less than 1.25" in less than 100 miles. It also cut a groove in the rear tire every inch or so.

This engine does not have low end torque to pull you up hills. It is a screaming demon on the flats, though.

You'll also have to change the 8000rpm clutch springs to something that grabs about 3500rpm.
Thank you for the very detailed info......!

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
I built a friction-drive bike when I was 12 years old. I remember it used to eat tires fast.
Also if you went through water it slips.

I'd go with a chain drive but that's just my opinion.

Also some are really offset to one side, making the handling SUCK big time.