My first build Education

GoldenMotor.com

Fishmadns

May 11, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
So since this is my first build I thought I would share some of the Happenings and problems that I have encountered.
#1- Make sure that the bike is A1 before allowing anyone else to ride it! (IE; don’t let your daughter take the thing without properly educating her on how to work the thing) I now have a dented gas tank & the throttle was cracked this decided to give up on day two a five day camping trip. She survived with only a couple of scratches and a good bruise on her hip. She said she had worse in her cheerleading days LOL.
#2- Make sure that your chain is aligned properly IE; square from motor to back sprocket & that the back sprocket is true. This is a big thing and may save you the cost of buying a new chain!
#3- The stock chain tensioner is crap its good enough to get started but as soon as you can order one with a bearing. Check the chain tension often it stretches during break-in big time.
#4- Have fun you just bought a maintance problem that once figured out inset a problem but for someone without basic mechanical skills you’re in trouble
#5- Take time to break in your motor I have! And can tell a big deference already in the performance!
Bottom line is take time to make everything square and inline tight and right and you will be fine!
I kind of fast tacked the build and payed for it at the cost of a new chain. It was a small price to pay but could have been a much bigger problem ..

John H

Starchalopakis

May 13, 2010
California
Thank you for the tips as I am in the middle of my first build.
I just have a question for conversations sake... I have read conflicting things about having the chain tenstioner on at all? I dont want to end up in the ER because the tensioner locked into the spokes, so is the tensioner really neccasary?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
John,
Good to see you are already sharing your experiences with everyone. It is always good to check things over before you ride, with extra diligence for a new build. Don't forget the helmet and have fun. Welcome to the forum you new guys!
SB

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
I have recently built my first motorized bicycle, everything said is true, but I am still using ths stock chain tensinor, 520 miles later with no problem. I have heard the horor stories about the tensinor slidding into the rear spokes and decided there is two ways to handle this. The first(which I did not do) is monitor the tensinor bracket with every ride and adjust accordingly. The second(which I did) is drill a hole through the tensinor braket and the frame, so that a bolt bought at a hardware store can slide through and be secured with a washer, lock washer, locktight, and a nylon lock nut. I did not want to drill through my frame, but its better to be safe then sorry! And never alllow a rookie to ride your bike! Its yours and only yours! Have fun!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When you get your kit and you start to install the tensioner, you look at it and say to yourself " thats going to go into my spokes and i don't want that to happen". That when to add a metal bracket to the tensioner then to the bike frame.

I never had my tensioner move, but i did have my chain come off and lodge between the sprocket and wheel and it locked up my rear wheel, then i really made sure my chain and sprockets were lined up perfect, and used the tensioner to make sure when the chain returns to the rear sprocket that it is straight on with the sprocket.

Foeller32

Apr 26, 2010
Lehighton, PA
All good stuff, but not sure about the "don't let anyone else ride it" I took my latest build to a church picnic yesterday. Probably 25 people cruised around on it. A quick crash course (start pedaling, let out the clutch, etc...) and there were no problems.

Did have a teenage boy a few weeks ago - riding in a big empty parking lot - who kept riding by yelling, "How do I stop?" We laughed for a while and finally told him.