Mine won't Idle

GoldenMotor.com

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Ok.. Since I bought this one pre-built, and did not do it myself, I got no directions and I am just learning it.

The engine will not idle.. It runs fine when I work the throttle, even after warming up.

How do we adjust the idle speed on these little chinese engines.

Also, can we shorten the throttle cable at the carb any? I have both adjusters spun all the way out, and there is still a little play in the cable and I could get it tighter, maybe a little more throttle.

THANKS.. I am working on motoring my other OCC chopper in Feb. I am going to start ordering parts soon!

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Sorry, It is a 2-stroke.. so oil/gas mixture.

It is kinda a crappy install, but does work, nonetheless.

Maybe after I shorten the cable, I can pull it just right to keep it idleing. It kinda runs out a little too, then goes down, then promptly dies, if I don't flutter the gas.

on adjusting the little screw on the side, somebody clue me in as to what this screw is.. Is it the mixture screw, to lean it out, air/fuel, etc? I have seen about adjusting some kinda clips too.. what is that? I don't want to mess with jets. I got my wireless bike computer on it, set it for the front wheel (OCC chopper, 24inch), and it goes 25-26 max speed with my big butt on it and the engine not workin to hard so I will leave that alone.

My next build, I am considering a jackshaft, gear cluster, tuned pipe, etc. That build will take a little bit of money. I got a perfect condition OCC to put that on.

Thanks for the input.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The little screw is an idle speed adjust screw. turn it in to increase idle speed, out to go backwards. The clip is to adjust midrange fuel mixture. Easy to fiddle with.

Before you fiddle with anything on the carb, check your intake manifold for air leaks, both at the carb and where it attaches to the engine. I believe that Norm has a section on how to do this in his help forum

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
turn the idle screw all the way in till it stops (don't force it in anymore) then turn it back out 3.5 to 4 full turns out. that's the base setting.

if your idle's fluttering, you might have a small air leak around the carb or the intake.