I have narrowed it down to two bikes VOTE FOR THE ONE U THINK I SHULD GET!

GoldenMotor.com

Whic one?

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 3 42.9%

Votes: 5 71.4%

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'd go with the firestone. for one, it's not a girly bike. by that, i mean, since it has the top tube, it's a LOT more stable. i've restored vintage girl's bikes before, and they're really shakey. that's without motors. i rode one down a big hill and thought it was gonna break in half. and since you're young, you're probably gonna be beating on it. i know i did, when i was a kid. i mean, i still thrash on my bikes. i jump speed bumps all the time at 30mph...

also, that firestone bike is a middleweight. that means it's not as heavy duty as a "balloon tire, heavyweight." the wheels are skinnier, and the spokes are weaker. and since it's 50 years old, you're gonna have to upgrade them.

AND, the forks are bent. look closely at the pictures. they shouldn't be raked backwards from the headtube of the frame.

i'd keep looking.

by the way, you're 11, right? how tall are you? you might be able to find a cool 24" cruiser. the frames usually aren't much smaller, so you could still squeeze a motor in there.

some of those old cruisers are pretty big and sit kinda tall.

if i find anything, i'll let you know.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
I would pick the ebay trio for the mens bike and extra parts. Looks like It can be modded for an in frame tank. Just be aware that you'll have to arrange shipping/pickup in AL

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
oops, didn't notice that the HIS and hers. if you could score those, you're set.

i'll bet that the reserve price is over $500, though. and with 6 days left, good luck.

the problem with old bikes, is if you want to buy something you can ride as soon as the mailman drops it off, it's gonna cost you.

almost every old bike i've bought needs a new seat, tires, tubes, chain, grips, and pedals. they're almost always missing a kickstand, and the fenders and rear racks are dented and cracked.

so a 100 dollar score will cost you another 100 at least before you can even ride it.

then you put a motor on it, and the wheels fall off, the bent fenders break off, the stem strips out...

i'm definitely not trying to scare you away from buying an old bike, just trying to tell you what you're up against.

but a 100 dollar walmart special will have the same problems.

so i was saying, you could find an old frame and fork, hopefully with a tank, rack, chainguard and fenders, then go to bikepartsusa.com and get heavy duty 12g.spoked wheels, tires, seat, etc for under 200 bucks.

for around 300 bucks you could have a "classic" look, with upgraded parts.

i dunno. if you want any more advice, lemme know.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Thank u all for the advice. I bet the reserve is over 100. I would honestly must want a bike with little
Mods needed. Going to comb c-list and ebay now.