Water in magneto casing.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
:-|| Hello, my magneto casing filled a bit with water last time I rode, didn't realize it until after it died while riding. When I took off my mag casing, water poured out. Obviously it isn't working since it's wet, I've let it sit for a while to see if it'll dry and work again. It's sat a couple of hours with the mag cover removed. I tried to start it just now, it won't start. I don't think it's totally dry yet. Here's my question. Is this thing going to fire again once it dries, or am I going to have to replace my magneto? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
would something have blown? Like maybe the CDI box? I was driving so the mag was conducting electricity when it stopped working. I'm just worried I'm gonna have to get a new mag, I can't wait for that, this is my only way to work right now. Well, I could peddle one of my other bikes, but who wants to do that when there's an engine right there! lol. God I hope it fires again. I wonder how long it will take to dry...

freddy

Sep 28, 2009
Ontario
It will be fine. You can buy a gasket for the housing. If not silicone around mag wires on inside and around housing then replace. You can also use a hair dryer to speed up drying process.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
would something have blown? Like maybe the CDI box? I was driving so the mag was conducting electricity when it stopped working. I'm just worried I'm gonna have to get a new mag, I can't wait for that, this is my only way to work right now. Well, I could peddle one of my other bikes, but who wants to do that when there's an engine right there! lol. God I hope it fires again. I wonder how long it will take to dry...
dude stop sweating...when you shorted the mag with the water no electricity would go to the cdi...that cdi is nothing electronic its just a coil pack...dont worry your fine

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
ok, you guys are giving me new hope. :) I thought for sure it was cooked. I know I have a brand new mag around my house somewhere. I'm gonna search for it tonight just in case she won't fire. I know it's here, I wouldn't have thrown it out. That would be pretty dumb of me. The new build is awesome! I wish it worked for longer than 5 mins! lol. I will be sealing it heavily with high temp silicone (red) there will be no leaking when I'm through. lol.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Addicted are those poles coming off of the coil adjustable? If you can move them the gap looks huge and if you can get them closer to the magnets youll get a better current. Use 2 sheets of paper for a gap guage since the surfaces are rounded.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Well, I've found my spare mag. It's brand new, still in the baggie it came in. :) So even if this wet mag doesn't fire, I can change it out and bam, back on the road. I'll be sealing it like a submarine this time. lol

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If those poles dont move at all center them as best as you can to get the best magnetic field. One gap bigger on 1 side can affect the magnetic field alot.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
You might still be able to use your old mag if you heat it up in a conventional oven at low temp. Same thing happened to someone here and they just put it in the oven and let it quickly dry out, bike started up no probs when it was put back in..

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
AHHHHHHH! WHAT THE HE L L!!! I start the engine, drive a bit down the street, seems fine. Get to the corner, clutch. Idling there, while I'm sitting there, maybe 30 secs. a lot of white smoke coming out of muffler. I rev a couple times. And engine just dies. I come back home, try to start, no fire. Mag is brand new, not wet. Take mag cover off, inspect for fuel, it's dry. I roll the bike back and forth to see the magnet spin, everything is fine. I leave cover off, try to start it, it fires! I'm at the bottom of my driveway, lots of white smoke at idle. I rev a couple times, engine sticks at a higher rpm even though I've released throttle, then dies in the same manner. I let it sit again, did nothing too it, and when I tried to start it again, it fired. I pedaled it back up the driveway still idling, revved it like crazy, awaiting it's failure. But it didn't fail! I rode down the driveway, engaged, and drove around my street a bit, up and down hills at full throttle. Engine didn't die, but my kill switch will not work. I made sure it was wired, and secured it very well with electrical tape. Ground is still attached to frame too. So I used the clutch to kill the engine, and now it sits, working, apparently. So, it started, died, started, died, started, and lived. I'm so confused, I don't know what to make of it. Any thoughts?

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
i dont know how your housing got that much water in it but it sounds like there was water in the engine as well, white smoke is sometimes not smoke but more like steam from water burning out of the motor, black smoke is oil, good luck and motor on!!!!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
if it works stop messing with it...or dont...thats why this forum exists....the white smoke is probably water like wes said...you worry too much...run it...you may have water within your kill switch too...corrosion makes for bad connections...i know i can straighten you out but im not there...did you ever try the "wet" magnito...run it, you'll be fine

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Alot of old timers use to use tranny fluid to clean out the intake and tops of cylinders and rev the **** outta the motor on cars, let me tell you it wasnt black smoke coming out the tail pipe it was pure white. My point is clean oil will burn white smoke. Maybe theres way too much oil in the mix here by accident or what ever and its fouling the plug. If it were me Id start with that kill switch and throw it away just for now to eliminate it as an issue its junk anyway. If I wasnt sure about the mix being accurate I would change that. HOW DID WATER GET INTO THAT MAG CASE? How does your spark plug look? Id go over all electrical connections to make sure their clean and connected.............