BAMF's 1st build Schwinn DelMar

GoldenMotor.com

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
Got my sexy taillight & brake light in the mail today.

Now i need to decide if i want to mount it on the side like a Bobber or in the back i'm thinking the side

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, I hadn't noticed they had that. I just now ordered one and will see how it works out an old Schwinn Americans. I have two solidly mounted with no problems, but would like a cleaner looking and easier mount... looks like I found it. I may end up making future ones myself as with shipping they are a little pricey.
Silverbear

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
1. I shortened up all of my cables last night. It's pretty easy to do with a dremel cutting wheel. I also got a bunch of those little metal caps to replace the ones I cut off. Looks so much better now. I still need to shorten my throttle cable though.
2. BAMF, did creative eng. say why is was taking so long for your sprocket and adapter? I won't be very happy either if it takes the better part of a month to receive mine. Also, where did you get that tail light. I didn't realize it reads STOP until I clicked on it. Sweet.
3. Last night I also picked up these little rubber lights that fit perfectly under the seat of my schwinn. You hit the button once and the led is constant. Hit the button again and it's intermittent. Very bright and very small. You'd have to tell someone it's there for them to find it. Unless it wasn't black like the ones I got.
Amazon.com: Knog Frog 1-LED Bicycle Light: Sports & Outdoors
4. I also bought a can of primer, chrome and clear coat. I want to chrome the removable side cases of the motor to match the chrome tank, exhaust and other chrome parts of the bicycle. This one is my wife's. I'm going to Black mine out and paint the wheels red.

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
Bamf. Did you get your adapter and sprocket yet? If so, how was the installation. I'm still a little leary of metal clamped around metal as being the right way to do this. I think it would be best to have a rubber sheath arount the hub also.

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
I guess while im waiting for parts in the mail i should upgrade a few things that i might not do till they brake or go flat.

1. New tires, the ones that came with the bike are very thin

2. Tubes that i trust 5x thicker and full of Slime tire seal (i have pulled large thorns from these and was still able to ride home many times in the past)

3. I decided to take the front fender off, i have read to many horror storys to go on having that kind of pending doom hanging around.

Attachments

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
While I wait, upgrades are what I'm doing as well. I'm not sure what to do for tires or liners yet. I beefed up the bracket on my front fender. I drilled out the 2 rivets and made a new angle out of a metal strip I got from home depot. Painted it black and now it has bolts instead of frail rivets and flimsy metal. I really like the look that the fender provides and how it protects the rider and motor from mud, dust and gravel.
I've been waiting to take pictures until my bike is done.

Last edited:

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I don't know what 'FTW' means. I looked it up and best I can find is, For the Win.

Anyway. Here's a picture of my bike so far. I also added a picture of the piece of iron I added to the front fender. This is a Schwinn Riverside I bought at Kmart. I decided to not go with the DelMar because it didn't have hand brakes.

If it looks like the bolt doesn't go all the way through the nut on the fender... it's only hand tightened at the moment.

I would like to paint the wheels but I don't want to pay to have all the spokes taken off and put back on correctly. Called the local shop and it'll be about $60 just for that. Also I'm not sure if I would like having color on just the top of the wheel since the outsides need to stay paintless for the brakes.

Any suggestions or questions?

Attachments

Last edited:

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
Make sure that idler dose not roll in to the spokes and lock your back tire up, lots of people add a screw that gos in between the middle of the two bolts in to the bike frame to keep it from rolling

looking good man!

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
How big of a screw. I wouldn't want to make to big of a hole, or none at all, in that part of the frame. I can see it wanting to role though. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm waiting for my hub adapter and sprocket now too.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Mods Mods Mods.......I recomend modding your own some how. Those things are pretty crappy unless you do some reinventing anyways. There are lots of threads here about them, I like the flipped derailer Mod personally but to each their own.

rfriesen

Aug 3, 2009
Omaha, NE
I did get the spring loaded tensioner from Tractor Supply. I just need to figure out how to get it to work on my bike. Most people that use the spring loaded one also use the fixed one as well.

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm still working on what to do about my tensioner i made a few but need my Sprocket to test them out

was sitting here with nothing to do, and BAM it hit me i need a new kill switch i am going to use the one that comes with the kit for my horn so heres what i came up with ..... . . .

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mods Mods Mods.......I recomend modding your own some how. Those things are pretty crappy unless you do some reinventing anyways. There are lots of threads here about them, I like the flipped derailer Mod personally but to each their own.
TerrontheSnake,
What is the flipped derailer set up? Can you show a picture of one?
Silverbear

BAMFinCali

Dec 24, 2008
California
WOOT......
My sprocket is here its super sexy and fits just right.
Just put 10 miles on it
The light works good im very happy with it. thank you Norm