what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

aussiedan

Feb 23, 2013
australia
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

i have a 50cc in my cruiser with high compression head,re worked pocket bike expansion chamber,re jetted pocket bike carb and a 41t rear sprocket and have a top speed of 71kph/44mph. my bike is real light and i weigh 75kg/165lbs and my bike is real low so i can tuck in out of the wind.i have heard people are getting 50mph with the 80cc and 36t rear sprocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2qSKbPux4Q

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I put a little over 5 miles on my new build this evening......baby steps, I guess. I wanna make sure everything is good to go before I attempt something farther than my neighborhood. I can certainly say that I'm gonna have to find some higher performance/longer lasting brake pads!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Found out my battery that powers my brake light has a short or something in it. Its gone dead twice in the past week. I put it on the quick charger and it overheated, I let it cool down and strapped it back to my luggage rack, brake light didnt come on. Thought I toasted it, but decided to try it on the slow charger anyway. The light on the slow charger came on, so I left it on for about 3 hours and tested it again, it works now but I suspect it may have a bad cell (6 cell nicad, 7.2v originally an r/c car battery). Luckily my buddy that gave it to me has a spare, so I'll be replacing it soon. In the meantime, I'll be checking it every day and charging it more carefully. I just hope it survives until then.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Im stared at my Pig while working on a customer bike. :(
Too busy to fix the latest flat!

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia

I swapped out my bike seat for a X-games moto-bike fender. It's held on by 4 bolts; The seatpost quick release bolt, 3 u-bolts and 2 wide frame motor mount plates

I found my old x-games motobike in the basement so I decided to do some bastardly acts lol. I even managed to grab the disk brakes from it and put them on my 29er. (The front ones anyways)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Sometimes you can "shock" individual cells and bring them back around. If not, maybe you can find batteries at Batteryspace. I like them, because they sell stuff for hobbies and DIY bike lighting. http://www.batteryspace.com/rc-batteries.aspx

Found out my battery that powers my brake light has a short or something in it. Its gone dead twice in the past week. I put it on the quick charger and it overheated, I let it cool down and strapped it back to my luggage rack, brake light didnt come on. Thought I toasted it, but decided to try it on the slow charger anyway. The light on the slow charger came on, so I left it on for about 3 hours and tested it again, it works now but I suspect it may have a bad cell (6 cell nicad, 7.2v originally an r/c car battery). Luckily my buddy that gave it to me has a spare, so I'll be replacing it soon. In the meantime, I'll be checking it every day and charging it more carefully. I just hope it survives until then.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

On the way to work yesterday, the chain jumped off the front sprocket outward this time. Maybe I need to use thinner spacers. Anyway, since the head bolts were flatter, the chain didn't break and it was easier to untangle the mess. The chain began skipping to and from work yesterday. A trip to the bike shop today determined it to be stiff chain links, so a new chain fixed the problem. I usually check for stiff links, but I guess I missed it. Since my wife followed me into town, I decided to leave my bike @ my workplace's secured garage. I locked the fork and front tire with cable, then used a motorcycle chain to secure the frame and rear tire. It'll be safe there 'til Monday.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Got the $50 Cruiser running for the first time in a couple of months, and finally- brakes! And a new throttle control. Not the things normal people wait 6months to do:) Sorry for the picture quality.

1) Had to round over the edges of this cable grommet to fit into the hole on the throttle handle, then drilled a hole into the handle inside the hole to feed in the end of the cable. Works good!
2) Dual brake lever installed.
3) Front brakes pillaged from a Huffy parts bike. Had to grind the pad attachment slot lower to fit around the tires.
4) Had to file down the end of the throttle cable to fit into the carb lever.

Attachments

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I put a little over 5 miles on my new build this evening......baby steps, I guess. I wanna make sure everything is good to go before I attempt something farther than my neighborhood. I can certainly say that I'm gonna have to find some higher performance/longer lasting brake pads!
Kool-Stop Salmon pads are HIGHLY recommended.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I went to my local bike shop (LBS) and asked for the stickiest brake pads they got, he sold me Jagwire brand.
I can stop on a dime with these, and for soft brake pads, they sure are lasting a long time.

PS, I did nothing to my bike today, but going to spread the slime I put in my tubes with some serious centrifugal force later today, vrooom!

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida

**** all i did was put a pair of kend claw xt tires on and compared to old cruiser tires got 3.6 more mph on my gps guess less rolling resistance woohoo!!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Working on the new cruiser (Build Thread / Album), not my beast or Harley59's ride.

Bolted the exhaust back on yesterday, the JB Weld was still a little soft (could mark it with a thumbnail), so I moved on to torquing the head down and left it for today to try starting up. I did have a blown head gasket, both front and back actually, so I had to clean it up and replace the gasket.

It started, after some fiddling and adjusting the clutch a little as the engine was almost engaged when the lever was pulled in. It starts and runs, but it still has a bad habit of running on or dieseling, the kill switch doesn't always do it, I often have to choke the motor to shut down. It will even run with no wires connected, so that's not good. I'm going to go over the electrical again (once I've grabbed the numbers I'm looking for from here for the multimeter). It was all checked out several times during assembly and checked out fine then, but something doesn't seem right.

Also put the headlight back together and got it working again. The JB there should hold the bulb holder in place. It's back on the bike now, but I'm still not sure whether I will leave it as chrome, or clean it down and do a paintjob on it like I did for the tank.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Adjusted my front brake (drum), my chain tensioner (spring loaded), my throttle cable, and turned up my idle a bit.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Also put the headlight back together and got it working again. The JB there should hold the bulb holder in place. It's back on the bike now, but I'm still not sure whether I will leave it as chrome, or clean it down and do a paintjob on it like I did for the tank.
My humble suggestion; leave it be. Classic.

PhillyJ

Oct 1, 2012
st george utah

flipped my handle bars down, took off speedometer and headlight that were both broke, changed out bolts on exhaust, front motor mount and back mount, still need to do the carb mount bolts, next week.