what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bigdaddy1996

Jan 28, 2013
millville ca
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I just got a sd stinger engine and new to this was wondering if theres anything I should do that will keep it running for a long time and also whats a good oil for it.Thanks

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I just got a sd stinger engine and new to this was wondering if theres anything I should do that will keep it running for a long time and also whats a good oil for it.Thanks
EVERYBODY has an opinion about what 2 stroke oil to use. I just use the wallyworld universal stuff and run it a little heavy. You'll want to run the oil heavy for break in anyway.
First, replace all the mounting studs with a better grade. Then pull the clutch cover off to get to the big clutch gear and the small bevel gear. Put a small amount of grease on these gears. Not too much, don't need grease on the clutch pads. Then on the clutch itself you will see a press ring with A BUNCH of small bearings under it. (look close,) If you have some type of syringe you can get a little grease into those bearings also. I just pull some of the pads out so I don't get grease on them and squish it in with my finger.And again, not too much grease. Grease on clutch pads bad.
This takes care of the clutch side. Replace cover.
Then take off the clutch lever case from the other side. If you spin the lever around it will come out of the case. Grease it, replace it.Then looking at the engine you will see a small bucking bar sticking out of the clutch side. Pull it out being carefull not to lose the bearing behind the bucking bar. Stuff some grease into the hole and push the bucking bar back in. Put some xtra grease on the flat part of the clutch lever and replace the case.
Get some good chain lube, replace the plug with a NGKB6HS and the wire and boot with a good auto grade and yer done. Put the motor on the bike and ride it like ya stole it.
If yer using the rag joint just take your time with it. Get it tight and right. A loose sprocket or bad sprocket alignment will ruin yer whole day.
Thats how I do it anyway. If I missed anything I'm sure someone will point it out.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Spent a little time in the garage today, trying to polish a cloudy area out of a chromed fender. Didn't do too badly for a first time out.. got to know a bit more about some of my dremel bits in the process too.

glass block is used for finishing something you want really flat.
a little water under the wet/dry paper and it sticks like glue.
i use a piece of polished granite.
didnt do anything to my bike today,but do want to take it for a snow ride.
Polished granite is great as a lapping surface, but I understand a piece of glass works well too.

My slab:
20121018_153226.jpg

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego

Today I cleaned out the carb on the Kiwi (my dad's bike), replaced the oil, tuned it up, and got it running.

I just finished painting the oil catch for the Parakeet (my neon yellow bike).

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

The fog lifted for a bit so I managed another clear coat on some parts, and a few touch-ups on the frame of the current project bike. Everything's back in the 'drying room', now it's just waiting time for the paint to dry before I can start fitting things up. It'll probably be next weekend before I have time for that anyway.

jtennant

Oct 18, 2012
Arizona

Broke top piston ring :( Can anyone tell me for a 60cc piston ring, what mm it is? I am trying to find one to buy on line, but they have 44mm or 47mm, I am not sure which one? Thankszpt

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Broke top piston ring :( Can anyone tell me for a 60cc piston ring, what mm it is? I am trying to find one to buy on line, but they have 44mm or 47mm, I am not sure which one? Thankszpt
For future reference it always helps guys help you if we could know what kind of motor you have, if it has a "brand"name on it, where you purchased it and the size of the motor...worse case scenario buy both sets and if one set works you can always sell it to someone on this forum in the swap and shop section...good luck and remember to torque the head properly...something else...you really need to make sure to probably just replace everything...in my experience if one ring fails you probably have gouges in your cylinder...

Last edited:

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

Hmmm. Not going to do any modifications today. Just go for a nice ride up and down the peninsuala. That spring tensioner my buddy and my self made is working pretty well for us (knock on wood). He's kinda upset my bike is faster now. We aren't sure why his bike is slower now, he was at onetime hitting about 37. Now he can't break past 30 at wot and my bike pulls away from him all day. Hopefully no rain here.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

Hmmm. Not going to do any modifications today. Just go for a nice ride up and down the peninsuala. That spring tensioner my buddy and my self made is working pretty well for us (knock on wood). He's kinda upset my bike is faster now. We aren't sure why his bike is slower now, he was at onetime hitting about 37. Now he can't break past 30 at wot and my bike pulls away from him all day. Hopefully no rain here.
What does both of your plugs look like?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

why not pull the head, look at your bore, which is probably going to be thrashed. and scratchs you can catch a finger on means the cylinder is no good. if the cylinder is good, (dont see how) just measure your bore.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Took my first ride for enjoyment today. Went 7 miles, this thing's fun! Cruises right along with almost no throttle. Got clocked by the "Your speed is... " movable radar thing at 26mph. Curiosity got the better of me, that was full speed. It has stock everything. Del Mar cruiser, 4stroke Huasheng, stage 3 gearbox.

Bradb1287

Oct 20, 2012
San Bruno

What does both of your plugs look like?

That I do not know. Didn't check em. It did cross my mind tho. We did have a successful 42 mile trip today tho. I'll check next time I'm down there. Prolly tomorrow. Both spark plugs "should" look the same since I have my bike at his place and we use the same fuel mix.

Rogan

Oct 1, 2009
Chicago

Attachments

Last edited:

Rogan

Oct 1, 2009
Chicago

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

did some work on the 24" bicycle.

swapped the 6 speed cluster for my 7 speed mega drive (one with 34t 1st gear)
did some mesuring as well and found i'll need to get a z offset intake for the carb to clear the frame. Will need to hammer a bit at the down tube since it's too big for the motor mount to fit over.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

Rode 1 1/2 mi to the grocery store today. Lost the extention that was attatched to the extendable kick stand. Wasn't tight. Need one that goes under the rear wheel- both sides. Sigh...