first project

GoldenMotor.com

normandy

Jul 25, 2009
new york
xct2Hi there fellow motor bikers thanks for the awesome site. im on my first build for which im using a 20" bmx (what i had around anyway) and realized its gotta be on of the most comlicated conversions, in fact i`ve only seen two (besides brains` posted here) and one was a friction drive. im using a chinese 80cc and and im thinking the only way itll work is with a panniers rack (the one i bought is an aluminum alloy i hope itll survive testing without cracking!) any thoughts on a bmx build?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
I would not attempt a 20inch wheeled bike.
A cruiser (24) is probably too small without getting the torch out.
An older steel mountain bike with horizontal dropouts and BMX components (stem, bars post, etc) would be unique and simple to build.
My motorbike is an older single speed steel mountain bike, but I have to use a chain tensioner because it has vertical dropouts.

normandy

Jul 25, 2009
new york
thanks for the pix, the problem here is that i cant weld nor have cash for equipment. i tried something kind of like the second one - with the rear mount rack but i`m stumped as to how to mount the engine to the rack securely enough as the stock engine mounts are now in useless positions. also could you describe the "push trailer" method?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you might want to just get another bike(26"),you might be able to find a used bike for a cheap price.It will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

if mounted on the rear rack you would have to fabricate a special mount.
a push trailer is a bike trailer with the motor mounted to it and connected to trailer wheel or axle and would have to run throttle and clutch cable to bike and connect trailer behind bike seat on a swivel connector.