Freshly painted Tank- Yay!

GoldenMotor.com

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I love painting! SO far so good on this job, We're halfway through the clear coating process on this one and already its coming along.

Anyone have tips for wet sanding this tank? I have 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit paper and a sponge I can wrap them around, but what else do I need to know? I already have regular clear on it and plan to finish after sanding with some glitter clear. I don't know if I should sand that stuff but for now I'll assume no.

Pointers are welcome!

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Beauty eh! Just do it the way the car guys do with fine sand paper & wet sponge.

Last edited:

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
So we let the tank cure till 6pm, then wet sanded with 1500 then 2000 grit paper wrapped around a sponge to mellow out the pressure. Going lightly and using plenty of soapy water, it ended up going pretty good. The wet sanding process takes the clear coat and texture down a lot but leaves the clear coat filmy to say the least. At this point we took some turtle wax rubbing compound (seemed largely clay based to me) and rubbed and wiped and rubbed and wiped. The pic below is from about halfway through the rubbing compound treatment, and we got it a lot clearer before we were done today. Finally, and not yet pictured, we got the first two light coats of glitter clear on the tank which is now popping like the Fourth of July. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow after the paint drys and I have some good light to shoot it in. I may wet sand and rub it once more tomorrow before applying a final coat of glitter clear over the whole thing. All told, this tank had about 4 coats of primer, and 5 coats of color, and so far five coats of clear applied. All told there will still be one to two more clear coats applied when finished.

Thanks for looking at my project!

Attachments

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
Thanks Ev- however, the glitter clear is out of control and has turned my tank into an exploding rainbow of beautiful colors LOL. It may be just the ever so slightest bit over the top, but oh well, too late now! It is still cool looking but it's gonna take some getting used to, and I may even have to take my bike down to the frame and glitter clear over it just to make the whole thing work together, we'll see when I get it installed..

Ah, the joys of learning! NOTE TO OTHERS- Make SURE you want to go glittery! The Glitter Clear is not messing around!! srsly.

I'll post pics of it tomorrow but you'll be seeing it soon enough. Don't think it will be ready in time for Moped Monday though..