finally, a new project....

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
OH MAN, does a cold one sound great sometimes, but then I actually think about the 3-5 projects I'm usually trying to juggle, and... Not to mention, I DON'T miss the hangovers!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

Things change a lot when lil pups start stackin up around the dinner table.
and yah gotta feed em more than beer nuts and cheetos...

It's a great thread you have built, half. I'll work on another critic of the springer for you.
IMO, if all are in agreement, 100%, design never changes or improves.
I never been the agreeable sort. :cool:

Yah, I've never seen massive consumption ever do anyone much good. It takes a lot of stamina. But it always drags yah down. It's rare to see anything produced except a hangover. Unless yah wanna write tall tales of your escapades for entertainment of others. and I don't think even Hunter S Thompson ever saw much benefit and it all killed him.
A lot of responsibility with a new son and wise to take steps to be there to provide him with guidance along his way as he grows.
Best
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Half, I am having trouble finding supporting web pages that would help me show that bushings would be superior to ball bearings when used for rocker arm pivots.

But I'm gonna keep looking!

I've collected some structural pics that I will post when I get 'em all together.

Here's one pic of a springer I really liked.

Best
rc

Attachments

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
I'm not sure you WILL find any supporting material, just goin with my gut on this one and gonna say "I'll be just fine"
I know bearings are not commonly used, but I pretty much figured it was usually a price factor which made the decision or some attachment to "the way its always been".. as I've stated before using these on my skateboards as a kid has proven their durability to me! I've had these thing put up with dropping down very large sets of stairs, all the New Mexico dirt and dust, fights, and about 3-500 ollies a day....YEAH- THEY'RE THAT TOUGH, LIKE TONKA MADE!!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yep.
Them lil' abec-5's take an amazing amount of abuse!
...without even getting NEAR the pro-skater level!

I read a few articles on the toggles for double acting suspension bike frame links and they prefer bearings to bronze bushings. But the real reason seems to be cost and alignment.
The bearings are cheaper, and will tolerate more mis-alignment in the frame components!

But I'll do more research on it.

Half, what would you say the rotational travel of a rocker actually is?
Maybe 20 degrees max?

Best
rc

lol
Do they even sell steel tonka trucks anymore?

Here's a pic of a trussed fork. It happens to be using a leaf.

Attachments

Last edited:

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Hehe...now I'm thinking about a paint scheme to honor the Tonka trucks I so dearly loved as a kiddo...
Don't know about red & industrial yellow though...

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Yeah, I would guess 20-30* max, and that'd be on a particularly nasty pothole....
Although I did shape the rocker arms to allow up to 45* swing.
Those leaf springs sure are pretty, but I've never been a fan of trailing link systems, I find they get
A bit more squirly, could be I'm just not used to it, and never wanted to drop a friends bike getting punky on it...

...and as far as Tonka, I do believe they've gone the way of the rest o the world, plastic crud made in China or Bangladesh...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
A few days ago I used a rattle can from Ace hardware on a fender.
Their house brand industrial paint...

It sprayed well enough, but the coat is fragile... scratches too easily.

I just don't have the $'s right now to get some quality paint from a real paint store, and I needed a color change.
So now I'll end up doing twice the work, in the end... lol

Best
rc

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Ps, I DO appreciate both your interest, and your input!
I'm sure these will NOT be the last pair I fabricate, especially considering this bike may ALREADY be sold,and your input certainly addresses some of the issues I've been sitting in the garage, scratching my head and mumbling to myself about! ...lol!
..its nice to talk to someone besides another personality in my own head...

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Really? I've only had the BEST OF LUCK with that ace paint!
Even holds up to gas, including everywhere its already eaten through the ONE SHOT pinstriping paint...
Did you allow for "cure" time?
Did you use primer?
Auto parts stores offer a "self etching" primer such really saves some hassle...

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
its better if you get the self etch prime thats NON sanding , whats wrong with red an industrial yellow ? do it right an thats a bangin paint job .
Gary

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
how'm I sposed to look all tuff n shiz, when everybody t'ink I got them happymeals in my pocket 'r sumthin ese?!?

...besides, I've had my heart set on doing a nice blue and black, all satin so there's just a hint of shine, but not kandy slick...