GoldenMotor.com

mange

Nov 21, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hi,

I am a newbie on this site, and need advise on what kind of reliable bicyle motor to buy. I know little or nothing about these motors.

I am 74 years old, and on a fixed income. And, since price of gas is going sky high,I want a motorized bike to ride around the neighborhood.

What type of reliable motor kit is recommended. Where one can buy parts if needed.

Is a Schwin bike a good candidate as a motorized bike.

What type tire should be on the bike.

I am a mechanic, and have rebuilt cars. So, will not have any problems installing a bike motor. Just that my knowledge is zero.

I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Which is a big city with many bicycle stores. But,no stores (that I am aware of) that deals in bike motors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK, I'll put in my 2 cents, M.

If yer just going to stay in the neighborhood, no farther, only... I'd go electric.
It's quieter and u won't tick off the neighbors.

If going further, I'd get one of the least expensive kits from the vendors, get some experience with them, and then decide what you might really like to have. You'll always be able to get your investment back, for a well assembled MAB, especially with your qualifications. Takes about 4 to 6 hours to assemble one, if you want to do the speedy method, a couple days if you wish to follow Alf's instructions on pre-inspection and such, which is the wise choice.

Schwinn is dandy... any chrome-moly frame the motor will fit in is good for normal use.

Brakes are the big issue, IMO.

A motor assisted bicycle is like going downhill, ALL THE TIME. Especially in traffic!
Brakes a very important!

There's any number of details that can be discussed, but you probably can't go wrong.
Especially at this time of year.
With summer coming up, you may be able to make money selling built-up bikes.
Good job for an old duffer, huh? :)

Best
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mange,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for answers, advice and help with your project. To answer all of your questions, all of which have been asked and answered many times, can I suggest you use the Google Custom Search feature at the top of this page. Just type in a key word, like 'chain tensioner' and you'll have pages of discussion to read on that one subject. Same for 2 stroke verses 4, in-frame mounting, rack mount, chain drive, friction drive and on and on. There is a lot of information here from many experienced builders. Naturally, specific questions you might have during a build will be addressed quickly. Good luck. Keep reading and let us know what you decide to build.
Tom