Tools to have with you.

GoldenMotor.com

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
when i use to ride a bike everywhere, i kept buying in-frame pumps & they would keep getting stolen.
i never needed them on the road. when i did try to use them @ home they were hard to use & were not good for high pressure tires.
i found carrying $1.50 in quarters for air machines that charge to be useful.

i am usually only 2-3 miles from my house. so i only carry the tool needed for something i either just worked on or keeping an eye on.
I've limped home many a time.

i use to carry a link tool & some links. then i upgraded to a wider chain & the tool for that looks like it would be optimus prime's nipple pincher.
now with the wider chain, i have no problems. so no need to carry a tool that weighs several pounds & quite unwieldy.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had forgotten about the pump. I do carry a mini-pump in my backpack. My tires are slimed so I can usually pump them up enough to get home without removing a tire.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Must get a cell phone I used to have one but the misses kept ringing and and annoyig me . I travel home from work at 10pm (secluded unlit roads ) and kangaroos are every where here id hate to hit one and be lying in the gutter for hours with a broken limb with no phone. I carry way to many tools now, but these bikes are motorised an extra kilo or two is negligable. I weigh 100kg and have an old metal drawer out a fridge on by carrier I can fit 30 cans of beer on the back with my large tool kit.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Does anyone carry an air pump?- I see lots of pumps everywhere. I see lots of pumps at the store, but they seem to attach to a bracket that fits in brazed on water bottle fittings-

Has anyone found a good way to carry a pump? flats are probably the most common repair on the road.
I rarely use it, but I carry a pump. It's a black and hideous green "Mt. Zefal" job, not recommending for or against it, it's what the shop had at the time. It came with a couple of hanger straps that go around the frame like hose clamps, with a peg on each that go into each end of the pump. I keep it slung under my top tube. A cable tie around it in the middle makes sure I won't lose it to bumpy roads.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hmm... 10 and 14 mm combo wrenches, and a variant on each that has a ratchet-box end (so 4 wrenches), an 8mm wrench, Phillips screwdriver, slot screwdriver, chain tool w/spare link and clip(s), tire patches, extra rubber cement, some rubber shim material, cable ties, wire ties, needlenose and basic pliers, set of allen wrenches. My spoke wrench lives on the biner with my keys so it's always handy. An old roll of electrical tape, and probably a few other misc. bits and pieces as well. I leave the sockets and such at home, and go over the motor with a torque wrench about once a week.

Edit: I also have a pair of clear lens safety glasses stowed in the frame bag.. night riding is great, but getting bugs and crap in your eyes is no fun.

Last edited:

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california
Here's the kit I've been carrying around in my backpack. I plan on cycling some things out but it's provides peace of mind because this is my first MB and ya never know.

Handles are wrapped in about 30ft of 550 paracord just because:

Not pictured are a small pump and HF chain breaker:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Kind of amazing to think about Oylava. Kangaroos hanging out and being a hazard to ya.

Drinking, becoming rappers, attacking tourists and motorists. Just being their kangaroo selves. Pretty scary.

my father use to work on ww2 planes & someone wanted to bring him out to austraila to be a mechanic & shoot any kangaroo that gets near the airstrip.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Kangaroos were of course known Japanese supporters in World War 2.
Little known secrete, koala bears, known nazi sympathizers.

Hate the deed, not the breed. Or in this case, the really cute little bears.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Deco, no kidding my Grand Father worked on the Enola Gay. He never, not once mentioned it to me or any one. I only found out from paper work after he left us.

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california
Deco, no kidding my Grand Father worked on the Enola Gay. He never, not once mentioned it to me or any one. I only found out from paper work after he left us.
That's really interesting Dan! I'm sure a lot of people involved in Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings did not feel good about it but did their job regardless, true Americans right there! .flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is cool GH & Terry!

Smaller and cheaper then my micro pump too. As Deco said, they are not fun to work with.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my new multi-purpose tool is Krazyglue.

yesterday, after re-installing my license plate, lights, and a mirror back onto my race bike, i took off on a long ride to get a haircut. i was about 5 miles from home when my clutch lever fell off at about 45mph. my custom mirror mount replaces the mounting bolt on the lever, and it stripped the aluminum threads when i cranked it on there.

luckily, the lever dangling from the cable didn't fall into my front wheel and flip me over, and i just crammed on the brakes and stalled it out.

there was a 7-11 right there, bought some Krazyglue, squirted it on the threads and into the stripped hole, put it all together, had a smoke, and rode another 25 miles round trip.

i don't think Krazyglue would patch a tire or fix a busted chain, but it'll fix plenty of little things, like loose fender bolts, mirrors, etc...

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Umm, well, barring a flat tire. If it's something on the engine that goes south. It's still a bicycle, and I can always peddle! I figure I need the exercise anyway, plus I don't want to get too lazy. :ride2: