New guy, new bike, new engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, I just ordered my bike two days ago, and the motor kit is in the mail from a friend.

The bike: Huffy Cranbrook.
The engine: Unknown. Bought brand new off a friend, he's sending it to me. Said it was Chinese 80cc in-frame. Got it from gasbikeshop on eBay, or ZoomBicycles (same thing.)

I know neither of those items are optimal for this kind of project, but I am on a budget - so please don't insult me, I'm well aware that these are not the preferred items. I'm doing this partially for a school project, and partially for my transportation to and from campus (1.5 miles down hill to campus, 1.5 miles uphill to my apartment) weather permitting. I can use my 1984 BMW 633CSi or the bus if ("when" is a better term) if the weather is uncooperative.

Is there anything in particular I should watch for or pay attention to when doing the build? Is there any additional parts I will need that are not included in the kit to make this work? I read that I may need some sort of adapter/clamp/bracket for the front engine mount due to the large size of the downtube. Any information on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Zack

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I will let you all know how it goes. I'm still reasearching the Cranbrook coaster brake fixes/modifications... as well as the engine mounting problems. Want to get them figured out before the bike and motor get here so I know what to do when I get started. It all should be here any day!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zack,
Pay particular attention to the fender mounts, especially the front one. Lots of posts here on that subject. It may seem like a minor thing, but isn't.
SB

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hi there, I am also new here ... just built my first bike , a jaguar with a 2 stroke chinese engine kit... got about a hundred miles on it now and no real problems...made my front mount out of a muffler camp and two u bolts... it seems fine... other thing i did was take the shifter off completely and zip tied my derailer into low gear...makes for easy starting and eliminates a cable and imo multible gears are not needed ... i hardly ever peddle anymore :)

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys, all of this information is appreciated.

I have heard of the horror stories involved with the front fender mounts.

Al - thanks for the link. Appreciated.

kattay

Sep 21, 2010
Georgia
Please post some pictures when you're done. I'm about to begin my first project and would like to see how yours turns out :)

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
I just finished a cranbrook 66cc build. I ended up drilling through the frame. The engine is quite stable, but it was a pain drilling through the frame. The metal is extremely tough. You would be suprised how flimsy the back wheel is. I replaced mine with a mountain bike rim/freewheel and added rimbrakes. I got those items for $5 dollars at a flea market included with an old defunct mountain bike. I permanently removed all the fenders and chain guard. I didn't want to hassle with them anymore. I replaced the drive chain with regular bike chain to prevent frame and tire chain rub. It's nice to have freewheel and a super easy gear to pedal in. You can install a back rim brake if you install the brake on the inside of the wheel well rather than the outside. Handbrakes are nice anyway. I'd just say take your time and enjoy the build. I tried to rush a few things and it just made the build take more time, though I am really happy with how my cranbrook build turned out. The bike has an extremely solid feel to it and it's a really smooth ride now :-/

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I am trying to refrain from drilling through the frame. I will probably fabricate either the hockey puck, flat stock, or C-channel/muffler clamp style front mount to avoid drilling the frame. Chain guards might have to stay on the bike, it's going to get cold soon here in PA and the jeans are going to go on soon enough (not too big on rolling up pantlegs or how my parents did it in the 60's/70's... rubber bands around the bell bottoms).

The bike was originally for my transportation to and from my college campus, since I live 1.5 miles away. Recently, I've turned it into my Engineering research and design project for an upper level core class, so I must take my time... as I have to document the entire build.

WdSjw

Sep 7, 2010
CA
That's good that you aren't drilling through the frame, it's really difficult to get the hole started and even then it's kind of drastic. It works though. I have to roll my pant legs if I wear pants, but I have never really had chain guards on my bikes anyway, I think they are a nuisance. Nice pants still get messed up anyway, even if I use a chain guard, so what's the point? Chain guards do help though. My bike is so much fun to ride. I am sure you will enjoy yours when you are finished .shft.

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Problem 1 with the build:

I can't get the f*&^%(& nut off the rear wheel of the Cranbrook that holds the brake arm and dust cap on. I have the wheel off, actually could loosen the opposite side (with the sprocket), wound up taking the hole axle out, brake arm and nut still intact.

Any tips on how to get the nut off that holds the brake arm on? It seems to me the schmuck at the factory used a damn impact gun to crank that sucker on. Looks like i'm going to need a vise and an impact gun to get the f-er off. I have neither.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Problem 1 with the build:

I can't get the f*&^%(& nut off the rear wheel of the Cranbrook that holds the brake arm and dust cap on. I have the wheel off, actually could loosen the opposite side (with the sprocket), wound up taking the hole axle out, brake arm and nut still intact.

Any tips on how to get the nut off that holds the brake arm on? It seems to me the schmuck at the factory used a damn impact gun to crank that sucker on. Looks like i'm going to need a vise and an impact gun to get the f-er off. I have neither.
It is supposed to be tight. Take a section of pipe and slip it over the end of the brake arm and now you have leverage. Use the wrench and give force in opposite directions. It will come off.
SB

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Well... I think I have most of it done, everything except the wheel and sprocket, (still looking for a pipe and a 17mm deep well socket), so once I get the rear wheel figured out and built, I think I'll be done.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just a foot or two of pipe will be enough. Your hardware store will have cut off sections in a bin which they will sell. And a 17mm wrench is all you need.
SB

Zack01GC

Sep 14, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
To do list before first start:

-Break nut loose on rear axle
-Install rear sprocket
-Install drive chain
-Zip tie or trim throttle and clutch cables
-Drill hole in handle bars for throttle killswitch housing
-Make sure everything is nice and tight
-Add gas (16:1, 20:1, or 24:1?)