MoPOD Riding Apparatus: 1st motorized bicycle Build

GoldenMotor.com

A_DangerrX

Jun 19, 2009
Connecticut
The attached pictures are of my 1st kit build. I put a 50cc china kit on an old British Hercules 3-speed bike. It was a little tricky because of the archaic frame and non-standard sized bolts and such, but I made it work. I had to bash the exhaust pipe around a lot to make it fit between the frame and the pedals... shabby results are shown. Not that noticeable from a distance, I suppose. Overall I was quite satisfied, although I modified the wiring a bit after the original pics were taken, as shown in the second two (the little unit I made with the on/off switch). The on/off switch later got moved to a more convenient position under the seat.

For paint I used Rustoleum in rattle cans. The frame is painted with a dark gray hammered-texture paint, and the ornate tubing connectors in a bright brass color. They have this stuff out with metal flakes in it that looks pretty damn good. I painted the cranks with it and it has held up to this day (though now the bike is in pieces and I'm busy putting the motor on the MoPOD Mk. II).

Comments are appreciated; I'm using a similar aesthetic approach to the new bike, so any suggestions or remarks about the old one are useful!

(Afterthought: MoPOD stands for Motor and Pedal Operated Drive. The full name of the bike was the MoPOD Riding Apparatus. I find unnecessarily long and complex names amusing.)

Attachments

ryan2249

Apr 10, 2009
Visalia, CA
Re: MoPOD Riding Apparatus: 1st MB Build

Very nice bike, I really like the bends on the bars they look very comfortable. I've never seen a muffler support like the one you have on your muffler around the bottom tube... that must reduce the overall vibration quite a bit, good work.

Ryan

scooterhoot

Aug 2, 2009
Britton,mi

I say, good show old bean! I'm sure the Queen would be proud of your use of old Brittish Steel, being she was a truck wrench back in the war!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Nice looking bike!
I noticed a different gas cap on your tank. Does it solve the leaking problem? Where did you get it?
Silverbear

A_DangerrX

Jun 19, 2009
Connecticut

Actually, both the muffler support and the cap came with the kit. The cap is the same one everybody gets, I just painted it matte black because I didn't like the chrome. In addressing the leaking problem, I determined that it was a build-up of pressure from a badly ventilated tank. What DID solve the leaking problem was adding a piece of rubber gasket to the inside of the cap so that it makes a better seal, and then putting a little pinhole in the center of the cap to allow vapor to escape. Not perfect, but no more leaking gas making a stink and wrecking my paint.
As for the muffler thing, I'm not even sure that's what those parts were for. They seemed to fit, so that's what I did with them. There were several other metal straps left over when I finished putting the thing together. *shrugs* Just bonus parts, I guess.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca

love the color! And the rest isnt too over done. Nice a clean sir :clap: :thumbsup:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx

The attached pictures are of my 1st kit build. I put a 50cc china kit on an old British Hercules 3-speed bike. It was a little tricky because of the archaic frame and non-standard sized bolts and such, but I made it work. I had to bash the exhaust pipe around a lot to make it fit between the frame and the pedals... shabby results are shown. Not that noticeable from a distance, I suppose. Overall I was quite satisfied, although I modified the wiring a bit after the original pics were taken, as shown in the second two (the little unit I made with the on/off switch). The on/off switch later got moved to a more convenient position under the seat.

For paint I used Rustoleum in rattle cans. The frame is painted with a dark gray hammered-texture paint, and the ornate tubing connectors in a bright brass color. They have this stuff out with metal flakes in it that looks pretty damn good. I painted the cranks with it and it has held up to this day (though now the bike is in pieces and I'm busy putting the motor on the MoPOD Mk. II).

Comments are appreciated; I'm using a similar aesthetic approach to the new bike, so any suggestions or remarks about the old one are useful!

(Afterthought: MoPOD stands for Motor and Pedal Operated Drive. The full name of the bike was the MoPOD Riding Apparatus. I find unnecessarily long and complex names amusing.)
How did the texture come out with the paint. I didn't seem to notice it much but sometimes pics are deceiving. I've been experimenting with bedliner myself and so far, I've enjoyed the results.