mini-bike, go-cart brake caliper on sprocket.

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Yes, I am back, It's still winter but motorbicycling fever is hitting me again and I am still looking to better my brakes from 'rim jobs'.
I am looking for economical and space saving braking solutions, perhaps like this:
(see attachment)
My idea is to use the caliper on the sprocket.

I've been searching the net and can't seem to find anything on this.

Anyone here try it?
How hard can it be?
Make a bracket for it and set it up.

(seems to me I asked this before?)

Attachments

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I have been working a sprocket brake for the last two months I've almost finished with it. I just need to bleed the brakes but I'm having a problem bleeding them because I'm using a bicycle master cylinder and they are tricky to bleed. Everything looks real good and it should work. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. I want to make sure it works first. I will show it soon.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Biggest problem I've heard about from sprotor (sprocket/rotor) users is contamination from chain lube. You almost have to run a dry chain as any lube on a brake is bad. Nobody I know in the motorcycle world has found a lube that does not contaminate the pads. Most use high dollar O-ring sealed chain to compensate for the lack of lube. I doubt you could find such chain in small sizes to fit bicycle engines.
But,
Being as these bicycle engines have a fraction of the power, just get used to a lot of chain noise and go for it.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I have thought about the oil from the chain and don't think it should be a problem. None of my bikes have very little if any lube on the sprocket. The bigist problem is fitting a caliper between the sprocket and the spokes there is no room. If it works this well be one the nices's brake system you will every see, but that's if it works. I have spent a lot time and thought on this.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I have been thinking a lot on this too, but being in the dead of winter my bike is in the shed and I need to look at it to visualize how it is going to fit, if at all.
I need warmth and time.

Spoke clearance, that may be a problem, or not, I don't know yet.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I took the complete brake set-up to the bike dealer to see he has any luck bleeding the brakes I should know soon if it works. It's very cold here in Colorado and my garage isn't heated I have a little propane heater but it doesn't do much. I hope by next year to have a heated garage.