1902 Indian replica reborn from AMC 3-spd

GoldenMotor.com

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Hello builders,
I just wanted to post a few pictures of the 1902 replica I've nearly completed in four weeks. The bike was a 1970s AMC 3 speed that was so close to the look of the 1902 Indian Diamond frame, it didn't take much to modify it. I'm still waiting on the camelback tank to be welded together by a friend and the addition of the head badge but I'm almost ready to fire it up. One of the hardest things to get right was match the paint which I still didn't get exactly right, but its close enough.
So I couldn't wait to illustrate to the hard core iron horse community for what an original era motor bike looks like and decided to enter in a local car and bike show last weekend in the custom American Bike category. I got stares and snears from the dozen Harley Chrome custom chopper bikers when I rolled it in. It was definitely a fish out of water. It was too simple, too small, not enough chrome, wrong era, just a bike.....well, with a bolt-on motor; but what a great story to go along with it posted on the display board.......and also take a first place trophy even with the mock gas tank in place of a real one. I stayed at a distance and observed a number of people stop for a second look and smile as they read the story of the humble beginnings of Indian motorcycle, pointing at little things from the gas headlamp to the rustic saddle. That alone was worth the trip if only to bring 1902 back to life and a few smiles. It pedals very smooth and I'm just waiting on the tank to fire it up and putt-putt around the block.
For everyone still building, keep up the good work and help keep the spirit alive in this forum.
I'll post final build pics and then off to my next build, a board track racer!

Attachments

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This thing looks really good. What size wheels are you using? I have been thinking about making a torpedo tank indian racer but I am unsure what size wheels to use (26 or 28) but I think the proportions of you bike are right on. Do you have any pics with the tank on it? I love the way this looks but that front brake and chain tensioner are a bit of an eyesore. But keep up the good work.

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Thanks for compliments
Tires - The tires are stock 26x1-3/8 but are too thin for the build. What helps them work is a really thick inner tube that came with the bike. I'm considering mounting 1-7/8" tires on the rims after I've driven this a while. According to the history book, original stock tires are 28" dia. (very expensive) but you'll find 26"x2-1/4" are much less expensive and more options available, so I'm sticking with these.
Rim Brakes - Yes the brakes and cables are out-of-place for the year/build. Without a coaster brake for the 3 speed I don't have much of a choice. Disc brake? nope. Drum brake (front hub change)? maybe. I picked the 3 speed so I could pedal-assist in high gear.
Chain tensioner - this is a kit installed component, but that's going to disappear once I figure out a better replacement.
Tank - is still under construction but will be matched paint from the same batch, so no tank yet. I'm still searching for inexpensive Tank decals under $40/pair.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Very nice work! I just gotta ask about the headlight. LOVE IT! I've been checking ebay for something similar I can convert to LED Does yours function? If so How did you convert it ? Looks like an old Carbide lamp. COOLNESS! Thanks: Dan

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Veledrome,
Sorry it took so long to respond. Someone tried to hack my account and I got bounced out for a while.
The headlight came from ebay for about $65. I'm a little surprised at how much these lights bring in ebay bids but you'll find plenty of auctions and can get one for about $40-$65 if you wait and bid patiently. Try to find one that is mostly complete with the mounting bracket if possible. In fact I have a couple of solar gas lanterns, one bought for about $65 and the second for $45 From the Indian history and pricing books I have, these showed up in several pictures on several 'restored' moto-bikes. It seems reasonable to assume with millions of these made, some would show up on early Indians although I have yet to see an Indian sales manual or Ad with these as OEM hardware. I have not converted this to LED power since I have all the original parts I'm entertaining the idea of actually firing it up with carbide chips just to see if it works. At any rate it makes the 1902 replica a little more authentic and really stand out at first glance so will keep it on for now. I also had a fellow motobike blogger make an original looking brass Indian head set badge to wrap it up after I finish the tank. I'm already working on plans for the second project, the 1916 board track Indian replica racer.