HELP with SPROCKET bolts and brake arm at hub

GoldenMotor.com

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
The bolt heads get in the way of the arm so it won't spin freely. I don't have a vice to properly bend it. I was thinking some bolts that use an allen wrench to tighten them, that have flatter heads. Other suggestions and LINKS are appreciated.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Easiest thing to do would go somewhere you can get it bent slightly. Sounds like you are trying to over complicate the solution. You could try your other solution but it's not guaranteed to work so you may be spending unnecessary money. Are you sure there is no way you can bend it? Get creative you don't need a vise! Try some vice grips!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
find a place on the sidewalk that is raised an inch or so, put arm there & smack it good with a hammer

bailsafe

Oct 23, 2015
Slippery Rock, PA, USA
find a place on the sidewalk that is raised an inch or so, put arm there & smack it good with a hammer
Aha, this. I had to do this with my brake arm since I lack a vice grip.

On a side note, make sure your sprocket and pads are centered almost perfectly, the slightest deviation can cause some issues with the brake arm if you're not careful

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I had trouble bending the exhaust header and put a small divit in it.
Motorizing bikes requires a lot of grinding, bending, and adapting to deal with this stuff.
It just goes with the territory, I guess.
When it's done you'll be proud to say you made it work.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Best fix is to not use coaster brake rims. Freewheel rims last longer and are MUCH easier to assemble. Simply add hand brake.
And easy fix for exhaust woes is drilling out flange holes. This allows pipe to turn for clearance. I have never yet had to bend an exhaust with this trick

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Aha, this. I had to do this with my brake arm since I lack a vice grip.

On a side note, make sure your sprocket and pads are centered almost perfectly, the slightest deviation can cause some issues with the brake arm if you're not careful
Also if it isn't perfectly aligned it will cause a tighten and slack sort of problem on your chain. You think it's on there nice and snug, but on the other side of the wheel it'll be slack enough for it to fall off.