Where does this piece go?, it came from the gearbox or the clutch when I opened it up

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Re: Where does this piece go?, it came from the gearbox or the clutch when I opened i

That's the star washer which goes behind the mounting bolt in the small bevel gear.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Re: Where does this piece go?, it came from the gearbox or the clutch when I opened i

Agree, If you found that, there should be a screw with a big head in there too, straight slot, depending on which motor you have. This screw retains the small bevel gear on the Clutch side.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

first, check and see if the screw that Mac mentioned is on there, and that there's a washer behind it.

if there is, then you should send your washer back to china, because they're missing one...;)

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. "clutch side" ? "Small bevel gear" ?

See, I took apart my broken engine to get the gearbox off to put it on a new engine of the exact same type with a clutch already installed.

Does this washer have anything to do with the gear box?.

P.s The gear box is the one with the small chain if that helps.

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida

O my bad, that's my fault.

Can you help me out still?.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

I see three bolts in that picture where that washer could go, (clutch and the two chain sprockets) look and see if any of them is missing one.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak

I would guess clutch retainer bolt. The spider moves, so it would have a flat washer with a toothed washer to assist in keeping it from unscrewing. Loctite would be a better replacement though. (used to make lockwashers in a previous life) :>(

Denny

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida

i never undid any of the bults on the gearbox, and ive already concluded that it has nothign to do with the clutch. I don't think its a washer.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak

You're probably thinking flat or cut washer. This is a lock washer....more specifically an internal toothed locking washer. They also come with the teeth on the outside. There are also the helical spring steel lockwashers....what most people think of as a lock washer. They look like a 1 coil spring.

It isn't a precision part by any means. It could be from one of the mounting bolts, or one of the case bolts, but there should be one for each bolt in that case. It could even be an extra that was left in the case at manufacture. In any case, it won't be a disaster if it wasn't put back in. All they are designed to to is keep the bolt from vibrating loose. If I remember my charts correctly, they score a 7 on a list of effectiveness of 1-100. 0 being nothing, and 100 being welding the part. Loctite is more like a 58 or 59. If it was a helical spring washer, it would also serve as a hardened bearing surface on a softer (ie aluminum) surface.

In any case, omitting it won't affect the operation of your gear box. You could check your other bolts for a missing washer where the other bolts doing the same thing have one. If the other bolts are the same, don't worry about it. Come to think of it, I have a gearbox like yours. I could pull it apart and see where they put the washers I guess.

Anyway, hope this helped.

Denny

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida

It has nothing to do with a bolt, I think it goes on top of one of the thick spinning disk things. I dunno lol.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Dude it's a washer plain and simple. You took it off or it was left loose and rattling around at the factory, asking us what it is then denying the facts when we tell you exactly what it is is kind of like putting 20 oz. of oil in a 4 cycle engine then denying that is the reason why it blew up.

Train wreck.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak

Dude it's a washer plain and simple. You took it off or it was left loose and rattling around at the factory, asking us what it is then denying the facts when we tell you exactly what it is is kind of like putting 20 oz. of oil in a 4 cycle engine then denying that is the reason why it blew up.

Train wreck.
Thanks Kevlarr. Me thinks the OP lives under a bridge and has layers....like an onion....Oh, that's an ogre. My bad. ;>)

gavz82

Mar 7, 2012
Virginia Beach,VA

is the retaining bolt for the bevel gear reverse threaded??
after the first ride i inspected the components&such,,& noticed the bevel gear set itself slightly crooked~untrue to the clutch gear. this has created a small hard start conndition,but it still runs like a raped ape. i have the new gear & woodruff key, Im just having a little trouble getting the screw out. any ideas?
thanX in advance
brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

No nothing on the China Girls is left handed thread, the best thing to use for those hard to get out screws is an impact screwdriver that you hit with a hammer to jar the tight screws loose with, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight, Auto Zone Parts store, Home Depot, Lowes...ect. for fairly cheap.

Here is the one HF sells, $7.99

If that bevel gear is good and tight on the shaft it is probably OK, it's not uncommon in my experience for the gears to be offset a little and not line up with each other perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Peace, Map

is the retaining bolt for the bevel gear reverse threaded??
after the first ride i inspected the components&such,,& noticed the bevel gear set itself slightly crooked~untrue to the clutch gear. this has created a small hard start conndition,but it still runs like a raped ape. i have the new gear & woodruff key, Im just having a little trouble getting the screw out. any ideas?
thanX in advance
brnot

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

The screw that holds the pinion gear on usually isn't that tight. I stick a penny between the pinion and clutch gear to lock the primary, then use big flat blade screwdriver to remove the screw.

most of my pinion gears don't line up with the clutch gear exactly even. Most of the time the pinion sticks out a little.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Here's an example of a PK-80 China girl I have thats still new in the box, the gears on all my engines offset like this, some worse than others but none of them are in perfect alignment.

Map

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

That washer was on the end of the shaft that has the large sprocket, to take up "sideplay" in the assembly.
Assemble your box with a couple of bolts and see if there is any side to side movement in the output shaft, without the washer.
My box like that had two of them, a little too big and sloppy for where they're used. Mine were draging on the bearing seal, so I replaced them with a thicker flat washer.