Gnarley-Davidson

GoldenMotor.com

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for all of the great info and advice. I can't wait to get this started.

I get paid again tomorrow, that means I can order more parts for the bike! But I'm not sure what I need to get next. I'd like to get it to where its running, so I guess throttle and cable and gas tank, petcock, etc.?

Do I need to custom make a jackshaft or do you think one from Sick Bike Parts might work?

If I use a jackshaft (which it sounds like it'll be necessary), I'll be able to drive off of the right side, needing only one rear sprocket, correct?

I'm shooting for being able to ride it by the end of March.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Having built a similar build id say March is a bit ambitious, unless you are talking June next year :)...... or youre a very hard worker.

Do you have a welder? If not you can get them for next to nothing over there in the U.S, teach yourself how to weld if you dont already know.... the welder will more then pay for itself if you can build parts rather then buying them...... then all you need is scrap metal and you can make your own tank. Its a lot of work but if taken one job at a time not very hard. And everyone here is helpful if you run into problems.

And if you do build it you will take greater pride in your ride, and i can guarantee you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face the first time, even if youre only going 20mph

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Should you decide to make a jackshaft theres many ways you can do it, depending on the pillow bearings you get. But heres how i made mine

You would have your pulleys/sprockets in a different arrangement but you get the idea

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Harry , I really admire that j-shaft design you have there simple an straight forward .I think I will build one like it on my next build .
Gary

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Gary, i plan on the same for future builds also.

I wouldnt mind trying what DD mentioned as far as having one pedal/drive chain..... but it requires a freewheeling pedal sprocket doesnt it??? I know you can buy them but im a vintage kinda guy and dont like the modern look of them, i know Lurker made one for his first build and others also, ill have to figure that one out.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Because I like them I know you drilled them. They just look diferent then what we get around here...........Curt

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks a lot. I'm definitely new to this as you can tell and I really appreciate the help.

I don't know how to weld, I know a guy who fabricates off-road prerunners, he's going to do all my welding and fabricating. If I can get him to show me how to weld, maybe I'll buy a welder.

Next year... really? I needs it nowwwwww... :p

- Zane

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Ask if he can teach you to braze weld , its the way many bikes are assembled , an its a bit more affordable than a tig or mig or evena stick welder .

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The motor looks awesome. Its totally up to your preference but that large cover over the flywheel can be removed. These are stationary engines so they have the shroud to cool the engine, and seeing as your fitting it to a bike and will be in motion it isnt necessary. And depending on the flywheel, some have sharp teeth to catch the air to cool the engine. These teeth can be machined smooth so to not cause injury.

If it was me id remove the cover to expose that beautiful engine, and have the flywheel smoothed. But then again it still looks good as it is, and itll be less work and you wont be changing the engine from original, should you choose to sell it in the future, or if they go up in value.

Just a thought, maybe you could get your friend to build this bike for you but you should help him out, it may be cheaper, and you will learn lots and when you get this thing going chances are you will want to build another

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Um. duh. I missed this earlier when I was running the engine. Just noticed it while going through the pics.
Go back to the guy you bought it from and find out how to ajust it and make it run better before you get a different carb. There is another little lever on the side what is it for? Just my thoughts............Curt

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks! I'll take a look at it and take the shroud off to see what it looks like and snap some pics.

I want to do as much of the build myself as possible, which is why I was thinking of getting him to show me how to weld.

I may be getting another motor, slightly different model, same company, so bike number two is already being planned out. :p

Unfortunately, the person I bought it from doesn't know much, if anything about the engine. I found an instruction manual for the engine, just waiting for it to come in the mail.

I'm not sure which lever you are talking about. Do you mean the kickstart pedal?