Strip down to metal or scuff and spray?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Got a Cranbrook here that I'm going from the factory metallic blue to a flat green. Do you guys think I should strip the paint down to the metal and start over or just scuff it up with some scotchbrite and shoot over the factory paint?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am so spoiled with the powder coat on one of my bikes its all I will ever do from now on I think. The bike always cleans back up perfectly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depends on the quality of the finish you're looking for. Show quality? Strip and start from scratch, or powdercoat. (make sure the powder coater knows custom work. Many just do commercial stuff like lawn furniture and fences) Just a daily rider? Rough it up with 400 grit and shoot a color coat. The factory applied stickers need to come off. Try a heat gun for that.
Bare metal needs a primer before shooting the color.

I like a good gasoline resistant clear coat, TopFlite model airplane clear, anywhere that fuel might touch. This paint will also do your engine if you want.
Good luck. Share some photos of your finished paint job.
Tom

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
just some pics to show my progress. I did go ahead and strip it down. i might not even paint it, I might just do some Adhesion Promoter and then some clear, I like the bare metal look I think.

as humid as it is in Louisiana I'm concerned about leaving it unprotected overnight (even indoors), I'm afraid it'll flash-rust before I can clearcoat it tomorrow evening.

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If you bring it inside with the AC, It'll be fine. What are you using for clear coat? I've had good results with the clear engine enamel from NAPA

I live in St Francisville La.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I was going to use some Duplicolor clear coat (after putting on some Rustoleum Adhesion Promoter.)

I'm noticing a tiny bit of flash rust already from where I was touching it, but I'll hit it with some fine sandpaper tomorrow before I clearcoat it.