Noobie in SW Fla ABOUT TO GET MOTORIZED!! need some suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

Coupe

May 25, 2011
United States
Hey guys,
I just went and got my SCHWINN OCC STINGRAY today and I'm ready to get everything I need to get motorized and hit the road.

I'm thinking about getting a Honda GXH50 for the motor, but I know here in FLA BHP rating shouldn't exceed 2 and I know this motor is rated at 2.5. Anyone that can give me ANY insight into this would be great!

Also, is there anyone out there that has used this GXH motor on an OCC 20"? If so, how did you mount it, frame or rear? I also want to make sure I get the appropriate QUALITY mounting kit for this motor, so any information on that regard would be very helpful.

And if no one has attempted using this motor, what is a good quality 2 or 4 cyl motor under 50cc, less that 2 BHP, that is easily adaptable t this frame size? I just want to make sure my bike isn't breaking down as this will be my primary, daily driver, work transportation.

Any insight on frame extension would be great as well. I want to create a BANGIN' CRUISER, not hot rod, that has a comfortable ride and is reliable transport.

Again, ANY insight to anything I mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Coupe, Welcome. I have no experience with the OCCs, sorry. Can't say enough good about the Honda GXs though.

Some one will happen a long who can be of more help.

Coupe

May 25, 2011
United States
What about the Robin Subaru? I've seen some cool side mount applicatons for that motor. If I recall correctly, they have great warranty as well.

Dan, have you used the GXH50? I'd love to see a pic of that just to get some ideas.
Love the youtube link!!
Coupe

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Coupe! Just watched that vid again. It starts and ends with a Honda GX 50 but on a wally world PB. Man, I miss that bike! Hit a pot hole 2ce on her and cracked the frame after about 8,000 miles. Gonna use her in a vid showing how tuff the "2Door style" seat post is by dropping a car on a MB. A Bambie meets Godzilla sort of thing. snork

I have never had a Robin Subaru, but folks I trust swear by em.
Build some thing cool! and post lots of pics

.flg.

Coupe

May 25, 2011
United States
LOL!!! Love the vid idea!
Not to worry!! As soon as I get my Chopper rolling, I guarantee, the whole world will see!!
Let'ya know when I finally decide on the engine & mount.
I'm SOOOOO EXCITED!!
More 2 come,
Coupe

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
so in my exp the occ bike can be kind of a pain....get a manic mechanic sprocket mount for it first off...mounting the reg rag jopint setup on that specific wheel is well we will save the exploratives and just say annoying...or down right difficult....then the fun part of getting the motor to fit and mount well with proper chain alignment etc.....my best suggestion is to use a cruiser frame or something else...not saying its impossible but for your first build you may want to try something a bit more regular in the frame department....just my 2cents....its just easier to learn the trials and tribulations of your first build with something that isnt going to be a major pain just to get to line up...none the less run and ride in a solid fashion.....and that motor...i havent run one either but most people swear by them

ps a 2 stroke may be the way to start. look on ebay for a guy with the sn barry and a bunch of numbers...he makes custom 2 stroke engine mounts and exhaust...drill 2 holes and the motor pretty much bolts on...and the holes are not in a structural damaging area...food for thought...the 4 strokes are really nice...but the 2 strokes are easier to mount and teach you alot about a mab quickly

Last edited: