Identifying a jc higgins

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I was just given a JC Higgins the other day and I can't find any useful info on the bike. It's pretty much a plain Jane in black and some faded away color with chips of blue paint in the fork gussets. Its got a lugged frame, it's a skip tooth drive and has triangular profiled rims serial # 9734 stamped under the bottom bracket. Anyone got any resources? It's got some really cool lines but I never heard of these bikes until I joined this forum. I don't have a camera handy so no pictures yet. Ruppster

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I moved this post from "Laws and Legislation" to "General Discussion" so you may have some help identifying your bike.

MikesBikes

Nov 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA USA
J.C. Higgins bicycles were made for many years and sold by Sears. The name was applied to the entire line of sporting goods sold by Sears including rifles and fishing gear. The name came from an accountant who worked for Sears.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
that's cool, is there any data base for them? I love the history that comes with antiques. It's half the fun for me.

MikesBikes

Nov 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA USA
To my knowledge (NOT complete) J. C. Higgins bikes were sold from the 1940's through the late '60's. The '60's Flightliners are catching on because of their neat styling---chrome frames, middleweight, clothespin front suspension. I have a few and while they are not tremendously valuable, they are a sharp looking bike.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
first thing that i can come up with is that you need a new front wheel. and while you're at it, get a new back rim and some HD spokes, and have someone (assuming you can't do it yourself) drill and re-lace your old hub up so you can keep the skiptooth set up.

i dunno that much about JC Higgins timelines, but there's plenty out there. check the cabe as mentioned above, oldroads.com, nostalgic.net, or search JC higgins and see what shows up.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Bairdco I tried searching Jc Higgins and didn't come up with much. I'm not being lazy about searching it's the fact that many times I spend days trying to find something and you guys have the answer off the top of your head. For example the only site you rattled off that I heard of was old roads. In case your wondering I called on you because you seem to gravitate toward the old off brands and We have the same taste in bike building although your considerably better at it. Thanks for the suggestions.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Man I stumbled onto your front coaster brake set up last night, How the heck do you come up with this stuff? Genius! Some of you guys are crazy inventive.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I snapped a couple of pictures lets see if they loaded properly. I have to say that I'm loving the lines of the frame. The petcock placement might be problematic though. I'm thinking a reversed cylinder would work nice with the low spot of the tank. The fenders are pretty beat and I really want to salvage the replace the rear reflector. Any ideas? Bairdco I'm counting on you to come up with something for me. I almost forgot! Thanks for the replies you guys rock.
Bairdco will likely know more than I, he's been here longer I believe, but I may be able to tell you something. I've spent a few hours online trying to learn more about my own Higgins. The handlebar stem looks a lot like mine. The rest of the bike, not so much. I would look along the top tube for evidence of a tank, I don't see that frame style too much in pictures without one. I would also look at the front fender for evidence of holes for a headlight mount. Try to see if you can find out what the original paint looked like. The onle other thing I can tell you is: online research. I'm still learning too.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the front coaster brake is an exercise in futility. it looks cool, but it's not very functional. you need a lot more leverage than the average brake lever will allow, and i don't want a giant motorcycle lever on my bike.

there's a few guys over at ratrodbikes.com who've made them, and there's a post here, too, but the idea comes from New Departure, a bearing and hub maker from 1890's or so to 1950's.

they made a front brake based on a coaster hub, but they stepped up the action with a finer threaded worm gear.

they show up on ebay now and then for about 3-500 bucks for a NOS one.