Population -1, Colorado

GoldenMotor.com

Rasputin

May 31, 2010
Population -1, Colorado
Well, this will be the first time I join a forum as a noob...I know nothing about motorized bicycles but I'm a fast learner and know how to use the search functions. I'm a mechanic and a bit of a techie so I've got a head start. Used to build my own bikes when I was a kid but quit when my best friend killed himself in '98. I'm not driving right now and live about 25mi from town and am sick of pedaling. I've got a cheap Huffy cruiser that I traded some bike parts for (I've got a lot of scrap bikes because I've been getting into building custom bikes) and I figure it's time to speed up my travel. I haven't got an engine yet but have been reading up on what's good and what's not so good. I have a tendency to re-engineer everything once I've developed a mastery of it so this is gonna be fun. Ugh, I'm rambling. I live in the Colorado mountains right now but plan on moving to Vegas or Phoenix in the not so distant future, as soon as I take care of a few more things and tie up some loose ends. Anyways, that's my introduction.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a few Colorado members here and we all deal with the high altitude and thin air but our bikes run good anyway. Feel free to ask for help at any time and there is information here enough for any newcomer to get a good grasp on what it takes to build a successful motorized bicycle. The best advice I can offer to anyone just starting out is to buy from a reputable seller. You'll find cheap motor kits on ebay but let the buyer beware. You'll want good after sale support. Its a lot more important than the few dollars you might save by buying from an unknown source. Keep us informed on your progress.
Tom

Rasputin

May 31, 2010
Population -1, Colorado
I was raised as a mechanic in the mountains and have 18yrs experience plus tech school under my belt, if I fail stoichiometrically on a two stroke...I'll consider selling my tools - but first, I must learn all I can about what sort of mess I'm getting myself into before I start turning the wrenches so I don't have to recant that seemingly puffed up comment. I'll be sure to document the process and thread it...I have a '48 Chevy p/u and a '72 Buick Riviera as well as work with R&D on proper husbandry of arachnids (I'm a mod on Venomlist.Com, a venomous animal keeper forum) so I'm quite meticulous about documentation.