Shift kits???? Help!

GoldenMotor.com

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I bought a shift kit off E-bay looks like ole stile from what the
pictures. I know I should have bought the HD & most likely will
buy the HD flywheel. But here is what I can see a problem now.
It came with two sprockets a 36 tooth & a 44 tooth. Both are to
wide for the bike chain.

No remember I have never installed one. No info in the kit. Do I
use the sprocket that came on the bike to run the chain to the rear
changer & then use one of the two gears for the jack shaft chain. This
sucks when there is little to no instructions to go by. I have looked
on You tube but other than Fabians instructions there nothing & he
just shows building a sprocket cluster . I need help? The bike I bought
is a 7 speed Kent 26 inch wheel cruiser.

Fly

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Also you say the chain is too wide for the sprockets, you need BMX chain for one of the sprockets that go to the front freewheel and the other sprocket is the 7 speed chain that goes to the rear sprocket cluster. The left side chain from the engine to the jackshaft is a 415 chain.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Wild Bill, the chain that came with the bike is very narrow, not wide. The two
sprockets that came in the shift kit is a bit wide. Will the BMX chain accommodate
this issue ?
Fly

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
You need to measure how wide the sprockets are and compare to BMX chain and the chain you have (Assuming its a 7 speed chain) A bmx chain is 1/8" wide. Also compare what you have to what is in the manual I posted. Does what you have look anything like the pics in the manual as far as the shift kit goes?

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
OK I checked the chain & it is a 3/32 id wide. This bike has only one sprocket
up front that is of coarse 3/32 wide. So I assume I can't use a 1/8 chain with
that rear gear cassette (Correct) ? Do I need to buy a new rear changer & cassette
that fits 1/8 inch chain! My I see why people get so confused if they never
worked on bicycles before. Any more advice would sure help. There are no bike
shops with in 75 miles from me.

Fly

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I might be in luck. This bike has a Shimano Freewheel TZ21 7sp 14-28 freewheel on
the rear. One of the sellers said it will except a 1/2x1/8 chain also. So I assume I
just need to replace the 1/2x3/32 chain with a 1/2x1/8 inch chain. Man been reading
this & that, but I,m learning. Found out the difference in freewheels, from cassettes.

I hope I,m right in my thinking. I think my 1/8 thick 44 tooth sprocket goes to the
outside for peddling & the other 36tooth sprocket from the kit goes to the inside
to be driven from the jack shaft. If anyone knows please reply if I,m doing this right.

Fly

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
You use a chain more narrow than a 1/8" from the from the front sprocket at the pedal arm to the rear cassette (like the 7 speed chain that came with the bike) and a 1/8 from the jackshaft to the other sprocket at the pedal arm, just like the manual shows. Are you reading the manual? it tells you all you need to know.
And the seller is wrong you cant use an 1/8 chain to the rear cassette. there is only one chain that will be 1/8" and the manual tells you everything you need to know.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Well I have read on so many sites that many say the 1/8 will work on the 7 speed 3/32 rear cassette like mine but being wider chain will cause wear. So Wild Bill I took your advice &
I turned the teeth on the 1/8 inch drive sprocket that goes to 3/32 on my lathe. The chain now fits
like a dream. Now I have the chain to the rear cassette matching & did not have to buy a thing.
Thanks Buddy! Oh? what is a good strong brand of chain? I,m sure this is most likely a cheap china chain that will
break sooner than later.

Fly

Last edited:

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Bill I really enjoyed your videos. Reminds me of my kart racing days. Man that
looks like fun. I thank you for all the help. These bikes are different cats. I never
thought there was so much to learn.

Fly