need help picking an engine for my bike.

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It will fit, it's not a monster engine though. I say go for the 212 and upgrade your wheels and brakes. Taking the governor out on these engines is a real pita took me about half an hour to get the little clip that holds the gov wheel on, I think that's the hardest part of the build. If you go with the 212 there will be a lot of performance parts that you can upgrade the motor with later. Not so for the 79cc.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
The 212 seems a bit much. Plus, I want to keep the 2 speed S7 wheels. I would have to use a sprocket adapter. I'm not looking to build a racer, just a steady cruiser. I considered a 2 stroke but the 79cc 4 stroke kit looks pretty good. Its one of the newer ones and looks to have the gas tank mounted on the motor. A lot of people seem to like these motors. I'm just wondering are the kits any good. Plus I'm going to need wider cranks somehow. IDK I'll probably just leave the bike motorless unless I see something I cant resist at some point. One day I'm like "yeah" the next "aw I don't know". " be a cool project"/ "be more work than I have time for". a devil on the left an angel on the right. I should probably just leave it alone. One of these days I might just put a 2 stroke on her if I can find one that's good enough. But I want to keep the fake tank just so it will look cooler. then store it for 50 years.

Last edited:

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I have a 66/80cc two stroke engine and I love it. This is enough power at a good price. If price is not an object I would go for lots of upgrades on the two stroke. I can ride up any hill in my town with the 44 tooth sprocket. I weigh 190 but I often ride with my 40 pound son. I have been dealing with BikeBerry and I'm satisfied with their product and delivery. I guess some people have had problems but I have not. Take all my comments with a grain of salt as I am a total newb. :D

mezzenger

Nov 15, 2015
Winchester, VA USA
www.facebook.com
will this fit Is it difficult to install the transmission? What are some good wider crank replacements. Any advice or experience would be appreciated so thanks in advance. http://www.gasbike.net/products/79cc-monster-80-bike-engine-kit-4-stroke on this bike
I have the 79cc HF engine and I really like its power. Bought it straight from Harbor Freight Tools on sale. I bought the trans and engine mount from gb. Not impressed at all with the quality of the gears. And the engine mount works, but you have to take it completely apart to move the motor. I recommend steel mounting plate and steel gears. All of the other stuff can be bought through ebay. gb customer service is close to non-existent.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The four-stroke 79cc kits are nice, reliable engines and will work well for new riders.
They are limited as far as hot rod parts, but if you want a cruiser, stock is just fine.
There are several wide crank vendors, and most work fine. (Remember you very seldom pedal with an engine anyway)
I get fantastic reliability from my chinadolls, but I know how to speak ringdinger so they love me long time. Most newcomers will have many more problems with the china two stroke kits. Nothing impossible to deal with, but there IS a learning curve that some people NEVER master.
Four strokes are much less owner skill dependant and if all things are equal, will give more reliable ride for noobs.
All that being said, buy a chinadoll too and use the four stroke to run for parts.
:)

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I'm with you Maniac.
I just built a shifter, a lot of weight and complication for modest gain.
The single speed two-stroke is light and simple. Put LOTS of miles on mine.
Have found it very reliable.

Steve

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Yeah that's probably my best bet. Plus, I already know how to install and adjust one. Plus, They have a lot more upgrades since the last time I had one 5 or 6 years ago.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I have the 79cc HF engine and I really like its power. Bought it straight from Harbor Freight Tools on sale. I bought the trans and engine mount from gb. Not impressed at all with the quality of the gears. And the engine mount works, but you have to take it completely apart to move the motor. I recommend steel mounting plate and steel gears. All of the other stuff can be bought through ebay. gb customer service is close to non-existent.
Thanks for tha advice. That's what I was afraid of, The transmission and the mount.