what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

• fabricated metal spacers for Pletscher double leg kickstand
  • after sanding and cleaning, I put a high temperature automotive paint primer on shift kit mounting brackets, muffler, and metal spacers for kickstand
  • cold bent the strurmey archer xl-fdd dynohub drumbrake arm to align the front tire to fork (still needs a little work)
    :-||

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

tuning my new expansion chamber-I ordered it from a pit bike e-store $22+$15 s&h it fits between the cranks had to re bend the head pipe it's coming on between 10-30mpr MB clime pretty good-I only cut 1/2in. off the head pipe I don't think I'll cut any more but I'll open the stinger as the exhaust was for a 48cc. my motor is a 66cc. the silencer kills the the power as the tip is so small I'll open it to- I think I'll be able to run it with a 40t or a36t gear now and that's what I am going for

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Rode it to the farmer's market downtown. About 2 miles out. Shut the engine down and rode right by the fire truck and police car blocking off the streets.

Picked up some nice field ripened tomatoes, figs and pluots.

Pluots so juicy you have to eat them outside or over a sink as the juice is going to be running down your arm. You just can't buy this stuff at the grocery store and you can't drive into the farmers market either.

Except on a bike - :)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

My dog knocked over my MB a couple months ago, which I finally realized was the cause of my shifting problems. So I stripped the Diamondback bike down to a basic bike and took it into the bike shop for a tune up.

I picked up my new red chest protector from the motorcycle shop:

http://www.bikebandit.com/fox-airframe-chest-protector

I put it on, walked out and drove home with it on.

My wife said I look like IRONMAN! dance1

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Found a great deal on a $600 bike, 60% off. Thank god for Canadian Tire!:

New Bike

And MotorBoys in Cambridge still had a Chrome engine left(they sold out of the 4-stroke friction drives the day I ordered, d'oh).

It should look good with the edges of the fins polished up. I think the whole case is chrome, along with the head too. Should be fun!

dance1

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Pulled the Dellorto carb off my Morini S5E and installed the longer throttle cable. It works! First problem out of the way ;)

I just don't like the way the motor fits the frame. I'm looking at a cruiser for more room for the expansion chamber. Never really been happy with this Mongoose Paver from the start. Looking for an all steel bike so I can weld on it :)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I hear you there DaveC. Its a small to major miracle to get a tuned pipe on these builds!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Pulled the Dellorto carb off my Morini S5E and installed the longer throttle cable. It works! First problem out of the way ;)

I just don't like the way the motor fits the frame. I'm looking at a cruiser for more room for the expansion chamber. Never really been happy with this Mongoose Paver from the start. Looking for an all steel bike so I can weld on it :)
Hey Dave take a look at some of these frames:

Frames

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Just when you think this project is done, several sets of circumstances pop up that keeps me repairing this project.

The Tanaka 47R racing engine is ultra reliable. It has been a great investment for me. However, the previous GP460 engine and this 47R has taken its toll upon the bike's driveline. Add the fact of the learning curve of being first time shift kit user and finding optimum shift points and shifting under power. Add the fact that my dog knocked over the bike a few months ago. Gears started skipping and jamming, chains started breaking, etc.

Last night, I removed all motorized components except the engine chainring. This morning, I took my MB to the local bike shop to troubleshoot and repair. When I picked it up three hours ago, they had replaced the 8-speed shifter and cable, repaired the bent derailleur and replaced the worn cassette. They didn't have the 11t-34t cassette in stock, so an 11t-32t cassette was installed. I thought there would be a drastic rise in gear ratios. After calculating the different gearing with the new 11t-32t cassette, I was pleasantly surprised that 2nd thru 5th gears had actually lowered gear ratios, and 6th thru 8th gears remained the same. The only raise in gear ratio was in first gear. This changed from the stump-pulling 37.08:1 to a respectable 34.91. I believe this new cassette will work well for commuting to work. There is a short steep hill near home that sometimes has cars gridlocked on it. Low first and second gears will help. There is also a very steep ramp at my workplace's parking structure. I just bought a access card key, so this will give me a running start. Previously, I had to wiggle around the entrance "arm", then crawl up the ramp from a dead stop. Gears and the access card will make life easier in the morning commute.

I'll be reassembling the motorized engine components back onto my repaired bike. It'll be ready from the morning commute on Monday.

BTW, I've been riding my bike to work every day since May, even when it rained. The weather clears and the roads dry up for the ride home. I'm thinking about an off-road fender, cause I don't like muddy water in my face.

I've learned how to "tuck in" on the long straightaways, and gas mileage and acceleration has increased measurably. I mix and fill my 4-liter tank at Chevron stations. A gallon of 87 octane lasted 8-9 days of commuting. Since it's messy to fill four quarts, lately I've been filling three quarts, which should last six days. However, I still have a few ounces of fuel left after seven days.

I believe my fuel mileage increased from 93.6 mpg to 101.4 mpg. It costs $14.63 monthly to ride my MB to work.

Not bad for a racing engine which is noted for its voracious appetite.dance1

It's the 8-speed cassette and the shift kit which promotes excellent gas mileage.

I can't wait to have my MB reassembled again.xct2
Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; Today at 09:18 PM.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I do all my own bike work. I get parts cheap too, from -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works, nashbar, and sometimes a few others like e bikestop.

I don't understand why people (usually pedal bicyclist) want to shift under power. This causes so much more cassette and chain wear. Easing up just a little bit on the pedals (or the gas in your case) will let the chain just fall swiftly into the next gear without the hard CLUNK or worn or broken teeth.

Steel cassette gears will do much better, and a chain checker or metal ruler are essentials for keeping your drivetrain in check. Steel freewheels are still a good deal for heavy use, and can be had in the 34,28-13 varieties called "MegaRange".

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Well, my MB is fully assembled and ready for tommorow's commute. New exhaist gaskets were doubled where the OEM muffler bolts onto the expansion pipe's silencer. Both of the pipe's slip joints were treated with liquid muffler weld. Then they were wrapped in a saturated exhaust bandage. This should cure the exhaust leak I've been having.

While the engine was out, I opened the pocket bike gear box to check for damage. I had been hearing a noisy bearing, so now was a good time to check. All gears and bearings were still greased. The gearbox has grease not oil, which leaks out and makes a mess. The last time I worked on the box, I cleaned the mating surfaces, but did not replace the torn gasket or use sealer. This time, I cleaned and sealed the box well.

I have a spare gearbox handy, so I'll pull one of its bearings and find good quality replacement ones.

The exhaust fix should cure by 7am tomorrow, when I leave for work.xct2

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

Got my CNSv2/GenB carb working by using a Manic Mechanic intake.

As well, I adjusted the float tang, put my drilled out NT air filter cover on, tightened the jets, and chopped the choke cable.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

UPS Notification says my new frame is here and out for delivery... YIPPEEEEEE

*Taps Foot*

*Taps Foot*

*Taps Foot*

OH COME ON DARNIT!!!!!!!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

road rash sucks but at least you are still breating...Bikes can be fixed but dead cant.

So wanna enlighten us on the cause of the spill? Might save others some pain...

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.

I have to fix the key on the 10t AGAIN -the 3rd time I swear the drive on this thing is going to be my undoing!-I weigh 185lb. if the key can't take that well I'll fix one more time but a mod is coming