Predator 212 Cruiser build. "Katana"

GoldenMotor.com

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Undecided on the bike. Thinking about the Micargi Fatal Love 29".
I may purchase a mountain bike with disc brakes and use the wheels and front fork on the cruiser.
I have a predator 212 ready and governorless.
My Schwinn Sierra build has been cancelled, I'm using the bike for the parts I need to build this bike and others.
I don't know how to take care of or remove a coaster brake. I've done research but I'm still confused about these things:
If you take the brake arm off, put a sprocket on, and put the arm back on, the brake is still active, correct? I do not want a coaster brake!
Why do these things lock up on people and send them skidding sideways?
Is it worth it to just replace the wheel with a wheel that has a normal hub?

Ok. So, other things I'm working on are the jackshaft. I have a piece of steel and a pillow block that should work as the plate. I'll need a back sprocket and 3/4" clutch.

Hopefully whatever 29er mountain bike I get for wheel replacement has wide rims for wide tires. I've found getting a whole bike is cheaper than buying a disc brake kit and a wheel set.

Time to get building the "Katana".

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Or you can incorporate a jack shaft disk brake, i think you can small disk rotors online as small as 140mm or 120mm and use a sprocket adapter sold by AGK under their jack shaft section.

Attachments

Last edited:

ragdolldude

May 6, 2016
Mira Loma, CA
Be aware of the fact that if you your drive line chains, the brake won't do much good. I had a mini bike in 1965 that I made. I put a brake on the jackshaft that was mounted on 1/2" shaft and pillowblocks. I noted a major loss in braking, had to lay minibike down, and slide some 50 feet on a sidewalk at the school where I was riding. In that case, the set screw came lose, key came out, and no brakes. Mini bike bounced some 2 ft in the air when it hit a parking lot curb, and landed on my foot. Had to take my shoe off, my right foot grew several shoe sizes quickly. I don't recall any Locktite being around back then, but I did grind down set screw on brake, so I could use a double set screw to avoid the same issue in the future. But a loss of the final chain drive would have resulted in the same accident.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Well sure, If I did a jackshaft disc brake it would be after I already put a front disc break on. Because the front is more important in my opinion, and I'm familiar with chains breaking and having no brakes.

ragdolldude

May 6, 2016
Mira Loma, CA
My point was that the brake should be on the wheel, like a disk or drum type brake. I wouldn't rely on a front brake only for stopping safely on the bike in the upright position.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Well, In the worst case scenario of a chain popping off, a front disc brake will stop you enough to get you home at least. I should carry master links... and a tube repair kit.