It's never ran sour when the choke wasn't on

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Geez- it got me again today. This time because I'd just put gas in it- I started out this morning on a five mile round trip and it started running poorly almost from the start-

I'm immediately thinking- bad gas, or wrong oil mix. Went the whole errand- the little 50 didn't want to go up the slightest rise.

Got home- added more oil- and left again later going the other way- this time I thought of it- THE CHOKE- it's got me a couple of other times- getting brushed on somehow-

Yep! Reached down, pushed it back 1/4 of the way to open-

and she ran like normal again-

felt so stupid having gone all that way earlier running bad.

dance1

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
maybe chop down the handle a little so it wont catch
once I rode a few blocks like that and was wondering why it wanst a fast as before

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Oh that's nothing. Last time I installed an engine on my bike my buddy and I tried for about an hour or so to get it started. Then he looked at the wires and asked if they were wired up correctly. That's when it hit me, the kill switch I had gotten from radio shack was in the off position. Switched it tot he on spot and it fired right up. Talk about feeling like a moron.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL, I rode my '82 Shovelhead to the local pub the other afternoon for a beer.
DSC_1505.JPG
Got ready to leave and it wouldn't start.
I thought the battery was weak and the electric start wasn't working. No prob, it's got a kickatarter too.

Well, I kicked it about 50 times (10 and a break lol) and never a pop. couldn't tell if it was flooded or lean or not enough juice after a while.

Got a ride home and came back with a tractor batt and jumpers. Guess what, elect start or kick still didn't work.
After a while I finaly figured out that the handlebar kill switch that I never usw was in the "off" positon. Flicked it on, and it started immediatly, without the jumper battery!

So, I left my truck and drove the Harley home about 7 miles.
I rode mt 2 speed FD/Preddy99cc build back and put it in the truck and went home.
IMAG0017.jpg
Mebbe if I didn't have that beer I would have noticed the switch LOL.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bumped the petcock with my knee (didn't feel it) and 'ran out of gas'. Pedaled most of the way home before I noticed the petcock in the off position. Surprising how much better they run when they have fuel. :(
Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I think we all have had something like that happen at one time or another.

Back when the CNS carb came out I was so happy to have the remote choke, because I was sick of the screw on the choke lever of my NT getting loose and randomly choking my engine on a ride :D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think we all have had something like that happen at one time or another.

Back when the CNS carb came out I was so happy to have the remote choke, because I was sick of the screw on the choke lever of my NT getting loose and randomly choking my engine on a ride :D
I know what you mean. A couple years ago, I had to put a Nyloc nut on back of my choke lever to keep it from doing that. I'd be riding along, hit a bump, & my engine would start gagging. Sometimes I could give it more throttle and reach across & around with my left hand to knock it back. Got real tired of doing that real quick.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
LOL, I rode my '82 Shovelhead to the local pub the other afternoon for a beer.
View attachment 45715
Got ready to leave and it wouldn't start.
I thought the battery was weak and the electric start wasn't working. No prob, it's got a kickatarter too.

Well, I kicked it about 50 times (10 and a break lol) and never a pop. couldn't tell if it was flooded or lean or not enough juice after a while.

Got a ride home and came back with a tractor batt and jumpers. Guess what, elect start or kick still didn't work.
After a while I finaly figured out that the handlebar kill switch that I never usw was in the "off" positon. Flicked it on, and it started immediatly, without the jumper battery!

So, I left my truck and drove the Harley home about 7 miles.
I rode mt 2 speed FD/Preddy99cc build back and put it in the truck and went home.
View attachment 45720
Mebbe if I didn't have that beer I would have noticed the switch LOL.
If I am following what happened correctly, you cranked the electric start until the battery started loosing it's power.?

If so, something is wired goofy with your run/ stop/ start switch assembly then.
When the switch is in the off position there should be no power to the start button. I noticed that you seem to have 1996 and later hand controls. The wiring color code for that switch assembly should be as follows:
Grey to ign. circuit breaker +
White to ignition coil +
Black to starter relay.
If you wire up the grey and white backwards it allows the start button to work even though the run/ stop switch is in the off position.
;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I rewire all my bikes and add a keyswitch to the CDI so sure enough I have been caught by it being off a few times.