analog speedo?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Had the bike out today with the cheapie anolog I got a couple of months back- found it shipped for about $15 if you look around on the net-
Seems to be working fine- I was surprised at how lightweight-

Not sure how accurate- they say the same size for 26 and 27"- don't see how that's possible. I have 27" wheels and I suspect it's really designed more for 26- roughly 4 percent difference based on size- but at 25 mph that would be only about a mile per hour- I really think it may be reading just a tad slower than my actual speed-

I get it straight verticle- 25 mph with no trouble at all- I'm at a good cruise at 30- and the motor is still a bit quiet even without nearly being opened up- I may take the wiffle basket off some day and wind it out- 32 rear sprock and 415 trike- really purrs.

can barely see it in the third picture of the bike in "pictures" thread
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/smooth-silk-silver-belle-35916.html

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I've used several of the cheapie analogs over the years and found them to be a novelty item, even on a pedal bike.

They tend to not last or be accurate at all at higher speeds. The $20-$25 Whizzer analog is an exception.
Ya but where can you find the wizzer analog speedo kits? (I want one lol)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The gen 2 Whizzer speedos show up on ebay from time to time generally sell in the $40-50 range.. The yellow face originals will fetch nearly $400 if complete/perfect. The cheapy analogs in my experience are way inaccurate, generally on the fast side. I have 4 of em and checked em with GPS, some were neary 8mph optimistic But its the only thing to use on a vintage bike build. Im not sure the sellers know sometimes exactly what size wheel they really fit. I just ordered and should have today a tire drive cheapy($11). Curious to see how it works.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Sounds cool wonder where I could find a complete kit as the link you posted dosent have the drive unit? Ive been looking for a complete kit for years and have yet to find one. Ive been thinking about using the drive off the cheapo speedo but Iam afraid the cheapo part will make the wizzer speedo act like the cheapo speedo?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This is the cheapy I have comming has a roller that contacts the tire. Doesnt mention tire size. Do I assume it works like an FD roller in that tire dia. is inconsequential? I will antique it to look like the one on the bike. Sorry about the bad pics.

Attachments