R,i,p, nellybelle

GoldenMotor.com

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
It has been a couple months since I visited you guys.

During that time I traded skull-paint with concrete a 00.05 miles per hour ;>) when a lady with a baby carriage drove me off pavement

Broke a collarbone and became generally snake-bit about riding.

Started parting out Nellybelle for bike with better brakes and gears

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1229/6309647/12253703/399892580.jpg

-saved the springer till I can get a wheel for front disk brake
-Saved the Kevlar rear tire and new Hi-Stop coaster brake wheel I got from Lynn [CustomMotorized bikes] for the Tandem frame truck bike I am building down the road which will need a 50 CC engine to haul groceries.

Made a trial trip to the grocery on New Schwinn Panther, and the chain made gnashed-teeth-sounds and it is six inches too long (original Chinee-chain stretched a year) gotta get a GOOD chain. Herr's nellybelle II on a Schwinn Panther:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1229/6309647/12253703/399904441.jpg

Nice to have gears and front and rear calipers. Coaster brake wheel and kevlar tire will go on the truck bike. When I find a 5 speed wheel, I can put the spring fork back on and install Lynn Rietze's front disc brake adapter to fork.

Starting difficulties on old bike that suddenly appeared because green ground wire was unscrewing from frame.

Cool weather, I can ride more. (New helmet)

yodar

Last edited:

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
My condolence for your loss can we get a quick moment of silence
RIP nellybelly may you return to this world as another sweet ride Amen
.we.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I never had second thoughts about getting back on the saddle after my crash. (Really, it's true.) But I will admit, there are now places in town where I won't ride. The congestion from road construction or poor street layout and traffic flow makes for a real white-knuckle trip for any cyclist. And motorists are slow/loathe to accept the cyclist's presence on "their" roads.
The doctors did a mighty fine job of patching me back together. But I couldn't quite do the same for my bike. I did, however, use the whole incident as an excuse to reconstruct the new bike "Tempus II" on a JC Higgins frame from a bike I saved. I now ride one seriously retro cruiser. It's in the thread "Scored a Higgins".
If you can, I say "Go for it. Get some part of the old girl up and running." But also, consider a good helmet. I haven't regretted it myself.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow Yodar, sorry to hear that. I really get the "snake bit" thing

Just glad your still with us!

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Wow Yodar, sorry to hear that. I really get the "snake bit" thing

Just glad your still with us!
I am sloooowwwwly getting back in the saddle. I repl;aced my cracked helmet and went to the grocery twice and ACE hardware this week.

The ORIGINAL CHAIN when the whole motor etc was put on the PANTHER droops severely. its stretched I am sure, but the HUFFY wheel dropout permits chain-slack take-up. the Schwinn dropout is straight down and you cant move yer wheel back at all. ;>(

Hope to get a 41 chain this weekend

Yodar

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Glad you're still at it! Better to wipe out and dmg yourself than to smack into a baby and damage that poor fellow anyday. You did the right thing, for sure.

Just think of the better mileage you'll be getting because you won't want to go past half throttle, eh? :)

Allen_Wrench said:
motorists are slow/loathe to accept the cyclist's presence on "their" roads.
no doubt. You were lucky somebody even stopped to check on you(iirc)

Drooping chain with idler all the way up? pop a link and move the idler down. If that's too much(anti-slack) there's half links you can get(SBP $2), instead of a master link.

Best of luck, and hey, there's no rush to go fast... You're still beating rushour/gridlock traffic, right?