AMF Cruiser for motor project

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome DH. They really are.

One of my favorite things to do is let some one take a spin. While their off, I tell folks to watch the riders face when they get back. Always grinning ear to ear.

...And you thought you were almost done with your build, lol. They are never done.

When you wake with a "eurika" thought and start buying your baby presents, then you will be completely "turned"

In fiendish, evil voice while tapping finger tips together; "Excellent"

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Well the PVC I used didn't hold up. The Blue PVC glue and Seal All worked but the PVC eventually gave way, perhaps if I had coated it all internally with the glue then maybe it would have stood a chance but might have eventually ate through. So now the bottom of my tank is cut out and I have either three options, use the stock tank (Blah), put an internal R/C gas tank inside mine and retrofit it but a 16 oz one is all that will fit, or make one out of copper. Hmm possiblities.... I'd love to have a custom stainless one but don't have the funds.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Bummer. Not fun when things and concepts fail. Bunch of folks reporting good luck with PVC. As an experiment, I put gas in a laundry detergent jug with a spout that would be good for us. I change the gas once in a while and have used 2 stroke mix as well. Do you think any thing could have reacted with the gas in your tank? Did you use cleaner before gluing? Side note; Laundry detergent jug held up and the gas has a lovely, lovely floral scent. (disclaimer, have not used it in a small engine. it ends up in the car and have yet to smell the muffler)

A good while back read the PVC would not play well with gas, but CPVC would. Is a lot harder to find and a lot more money. I really want to see the PVC work. Easy, cheap and can walk in any hardware store and get it. So, is why I ask.

Failures are a bummer but great for learning tools. Should see my scrap pile! snork

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
So I ended up going with the stock tank for now. I'm debating on painting it red to match the bike or not. It looks pretty good with the solid black tires and black handlebars. I really want a custom tank in there and all will be good in the world again.

In the mean time I've used about 1/2 a tank of gas (32:1 mix) and all is well except for some minor things like the muffler falling apart and having to go back and pick up the pieces and reassemble (note to self, check the baffler nuts often). Also, had a broken fender mount, nothing critical but had to attach a new mounting flange to secure. Aside from that I've made several trips through my neighborhood at about 3-5 miles each trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Fabricating new tank with a metal container inside the PVC. This should work until I can afford to get a Stainless steel or copper tank made. Also I purchased an expansion chamber exhaust from spooky tooth, it fits the bike well except that the front fender hits it slightly so now I have to adjust the front fender mounts slightly so that everything clears. I'll post updated pic soon.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok so I got the Spooky Tooth Expansion chamber exhaust mounted (welding is not so good on these, it's solid but sloppy looking). It's a close fit, I had to flip my fender around to make it fit and had to touch up the white paint a bit and inadvertently got some on my front tire. I haven't tried out the muffler yet to see if there is a noise/performance difference, hopefully I'll get a few minutes to ride it around this evening a bit.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
The spooky tooth expansion chamber makes a nice improvement over the stock muffler. I notice the bike is only slightly louder with the signature 2-stroke pinging sound and has a noticeable amount of extra power when climbing hills and starting out. Next up will be an upgraded air intake. I'm ordering today from Pirates or Sick Bike Parts.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Latest photos. The bike is a blast. I'm thinking of painting the wheels/spokes black and the fenders red to match the bike frame. The angles on the photos are a bit off my 5 year old daughter was doing me a favor and took them.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got a B-3 jacket for riding. Finally decided on a moped tank for the build. Working on some decals at the moment and will post new photos once I get the tank fully mounted and the decals on.