clutch and brake lever set up

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I would like to hear and see some pictures of set ups . I always used the left brake lever 90 % of the time when I rode mountain bikes and such . I some times use the right brake lever . It seems to me that on these motor bikes It is best to put the clutch lever on the left side , but it feels strange to have the brake on the side with the throttle . I have hit the wrong one a few times . Just would like to see some set ups and hear some feed back . And perhaps some options .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Motorcycles have the clutch on the left & front brake on the right... That's the way I like my bikes set up.
I really like a dual pull brake lever on the right... It keeps everything clean & simple. ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Tho I use a dual pull lever on the Rollfast, the Schwinn has separate brake levers w/the clutch simply angled down a bit - it's easy & comfy to brake w/one finger w/the clutch held in;

I really like havin' independent brakes in the mud & muck and the ice & snow ;)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Tho I use a dual pull lever on the Rollfast, the Schwinn has separate brake levers w/the clutch simply angled down a bit - it's easy & comfy to brake w/one finger w/the clutch held in;

I really like havin' independent brakes in the mud & muck and the ice & snow ;)
more what I was thinking about ! I allways have my hand on the brake just in case a car or deer runs in front of me . Even on an motorcycle I had my foot on the brake at all times , slaming on brakes with the front wheel skiding is worse than the back to me . I went around an curve on my sportster years ago ; and low and behold an tree was down in the road , I went over the handel bars after the skid . The big differance to me is with the four and five speeds and 10s ect. there is no coaster brake as all of us know by now , and Im not going to rely on the coaster to stop me 100% . I had to grind mine to fit the sprocket on my beach bike . I have put grease fitting on my hub . and i pump it until I see greese come out both ends. Im an real worry wort but its nice to take all actions , I feel a little safer . And Im geting an helment too .

Last edited:

OBX Fisherman

Jun 13, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm running an Avid hand brake on the left for the clutch and small lever in a reverse position for the brake. The middle, ring and little finger actuate the clutch, the thumb the brake, and the index operates the clutch catch (not pictured here, lost it on a ride last week!) The catch would go on the inside of the Avid lever.

Sorry, no hand grips yet, still a work in progress!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Easy question for me as I rode motorcycles for years.
Dual pull teeter-totter brake lever for both rim brakes on the right, and just the clutch on the left.

Depending on the circumstance you sure don't want to be trying to brake and clutch with the same hand, and you are not using the throttle if you are braking.

The self adjust dual brake lever works like this

SickBikeParts.com has them.

I have mounted a brake lever on the left along with the clutch before, on a GT1 bike with 2 V-brakes and a hub brake.

The stock setup was a joke.
Not only was the band brake pretty much useless it was tied to crappy dual pull lever that didn't self adjust and the other brake lever on the left.

The right got a TT hand brake for both V's, and the drum brake got a left lever pointed out of the way as kind of emergency brake you never use.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I'm running an Avid hand brake on the left for the clutch and small lever in a reverse position for the brake. The middle, ring and little finger actuate the clutch, the thumb the brake, and the index operates the clutch catch (not pictured here, lost it on a ride last week!) The catch would go on the inside of the Avid lever.

Sorry, no hand grips yet, still a work in progress!
I may try an few ways on this , I see I am not the only one who feels strange to the left hand side . (not to be confused with an song lol ) I will try this set up first . I will work on lever ideas that you dont have to remove the grips every time you might have to fool with them too ( another idea for an setup ). The thing about the brake lever on the right throtle side is when I pull on it ,,, my palm wants to roll the throtle ,,, haveing the clutch on the throtle side is even worse .. been there and I changed it to the left .. I still feel like the mountain bike for some reason ,, my bike will go 36 mph strait out the box though ! on an flat surface. but thanks for the reply everybody .... and if you have time post some pictures of your setup fisherman and let me know how you like it ..

Shlink

Oct 3, 2010
USA
Has anyone tried one of these?
Combo Brake Clutch Lever
I think I'm going to get one when I get a bike.
It seems really convenient to have a clutch that locks on if you're motor isn't going to be running 100% of the time. I plan on killing the motor when I get into town and just pedal when I'm on sidewalks.

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Has anyone tried one of these?
Combo Brake Clutch Lever
I think I'm going to get one when I get a bike.
It seems really convenient to have a clutch that locks on if you're motor isn't going to be running 100% of the time. I plan on killing the motor when I get into town and just pedal when I'm on sidewalks.
i had one on my bike it didnt work so well cause it turned out the clutch didnt have enough leverage to pull in easily it would work but i just felt like i was going to break it

ohh and that isnt exactly a combo brake lever and clutch lever its actually a three speed shifter with a brake lever built in

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
heres my steup it has done me well on the right side my throttle is a brake lever and underneath it is my rear brake lever

on the left side i have my clutch lever and front brake lever

it may seem a little fumbly but i have had no problems with it most of the time whem i break i dont come to a complet stop so theres no need to pull in the clutch i just pull left brake when coming to a emergancy stop i pull both levers even if the clutch is engaged i still stop quikly usually i cruise using my pointer finger to hold the throttle simply letting go and grabing the brake is easy i have experienced no problems i plan on using a dual brake lever and metal twist grip throttle on my next build but i dont really want to give up my brake lever throttle i ilke it and feel it is more safe

i say it is more safe because on my dads bike i did a cat walk not on purpose i didnt think i had the power to do it and was hanging on to the twist grip and couldnt let go as i started leaning farther and farther back my grip ywisted the throttle making it even worse it was all bad i got some nice road burn that itched for weeks i mean really bad itch

now i know you guys probly dont believe i actuially catwalked but there was a bump in th road like a huge speed bump when my front tire hit it i pulled my front end up and when my rear tire hit it it was like a little jump or something i only wanted to come off the bump and lnd with both tires at the same time like coming down off a curb you can let your front down then your rear tire but if you kind of hop down hiting both tires at the samr time its smoother thats whjat im was trying to do

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I looked at those but didn't buy one.
It is not really a locking clutch and brake combo, it is just a thumb ratcheting 3-speed gear shifter on a brake lever.

These clutches are pretty hard to engage, especially when they are new, I just can't see just using your left thumb to operate it very easy.

The kit clutch has a locking button by the way Shlink, it disengages when you pull on the clutch itself too.

Kicking... "The thing about the brake lever on the right throttle side is when I pull on it my palm wants to roll the throttle"

Point your levers almost straight down so your whole palm is around the grip and you just use the middle section of your fingers to pull it.

I still stand by the SickBikeParts Dual Pull Teeter-Totter Brake Lever" for $11.95 on the right side and the stock clutch on the left.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
It is not really a locking clutch and brake combo, it is just a thumb ratcheting 3-speed gear shifter on a brake lever.

These clutches are pretty hard to engage, especially when they are new, I just can't see just using your left thumb to operate it very easy.

The kit clutch has a locking button by the way Shlink, it disengages when you pull on the clutch itself too.

Kicking... "The thing about the brake lever on the right throttle side is when I pull on it my palm wants to roll the throttle"

Point your levers almost straight down so your whole palm is around the grip and you just use the middle section of your fingers to pull it.

I still stand by the SickBikeParts Dual Pull Teeter-Totter Brake Lever" for $11.95 on the right side and the stock clutch on the left.
hey and hello'' i will try the lever pointing down for an while , my clutch engages pretty easy for right now , so i might try an lever too , I thought this thread was gone to page #109 or something . This is the way I may wind up going to . It just go's to show that this site is an data base of information . I know without doubt that there are many people here that know an whole lot of information . that's why I usually don't jump on the first reply , but wait for an while for other peoples input too. not because one way to fix or to find out information , is the absolute best way and the only way . but because I believe that one fix or solution to an problem may or may not work for everybody . I think our personalities come out in our work .

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Easy question for me as I rode motorcycles for years.
Dual pull teeter-totter brake lever for both rim brakes on the right, and just the clutch on the left.

Depending on the circumstance you sure don't want to be trying to brake and clutch with the same hand, and you are not using the throttle if you are braking.

The self adjust dual brake lever works like this

SickBikeParts.com has them.

I have mounted a brake lever on the left along with the clutch before, on a GT1 bike with 2 V-brakes and a hub brake.

The stock setup was a joke.
Not only was the band brake pretty much useless it was tied to crappy dual pull lever that didn't self adjust and the other brake lever on the left.

The right got a TT hand brake for both V's, and the drum brake got a left lever pointed out of the way as kind of emergency brake you never use.
i like this set up too .. been thinking while my new rim comes in ,,, when i come to long rolling downgrades ,, i allways pull my clutch in and coast down the hills ,, at times i know at least two miles ,, so an set up that engages both clutch and brake at the same time would kinda throw an wrench in my routine ,,, the main thing is safety though ,,, i will try the levers pointing down when i get on the road again ,, my clutch is very easy for right now ,, guess i am lucky on that one ,,,, i might try an few set ups ... first time i have seen this http://www.bikeberry.com/combo-brake-and-clutch-lever-3-47b.html

Last edited:

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I use this dual pull handle and throttle combination in one unit on both of my bikes. On the old bike I always found it hard to adjust the brakes and on the new one I simply CANNOT get it adjusted so that I have enough stopping power without constant brake pad rubbing. So I came to the conclusion that maybe this brake handle wasn't meant for V-brakes. I will put a normal single pull V-brake handle on my new bike tomorrow and see what happens. Unfortunately it means I wall have no front brake while testing.

Shlink

Oct 3, 2010
USA

Yea after looking into that combo break clutch lever further i realized its not at all what I want.

Do you mean the clutch lever that comes with most kits is able to lock in the disengaged position? That would be great.. I'm getting a Black Grubee Skyhawk from bikeberry. Think it comes with a lockable clutch lever?

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Do you mean the clutch lever that comes with most kits is able to lock in the disengaged position? That would be great.. I'm getting a Black Grubee Skyhawk from bikeberry. Think it comes with a lockable clutch lever?
pretty much all clutch levers in new kits have a button that disengages the cluch

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Save yourself alot of trouble and go with the thumb clutch/ brake combo. I got one on my bike and it works great. My left side controls the Front brake and clutch, and my right side has the dual brake lever and controls both of my rear brakes; my caliper, and bandbrake.

Ill post some pics of mine tomorrow

Attachments