Problem with Schwinn Deluxe Seven Hub

GoldenMotor.com

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
I want to motorise the Schwinn Deluxe Seven Cruiser but it has a Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub and it will need a special sprocket with special mounting plates & asbestos rubber to fit the increased radius of the clamping bolts. The bike is perfect in all other respects for a Grubee 4-stroke frame mount cos it has springer forks and a front brake. The rear brake is a coaster and the only problem is the 7 spd hub. Has anyone got a picture of what the hub on these bikes looks like or has anyone ever mounted a sprocket on one of these hubs. I reckon the outer diameter of the spoke flange is about 105mm which puts the bolt holes 55mm out from the centre as opposed to 33mm which is the distance of the bolt hole from the centre on all the standard rear sprockets.The hubs are really big and I think they look like the one shown in the picture below. I need to use the hub cos it makes up $400 of the bike price and it has the rear brake.

Attachments

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
there is a company that does theese things, oh i can't remember but you can use the shifting of your gears like with pablos kit......oh i will find it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would say, If you haven't purchased the bike yet... You should look at buying a different model Schwinn!
You will save money & have a much easier build! (the 5-speed wheels with 5 sprockets on them work very well!)

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
I would say, If you haven't purchased the bike yet... You should look at buying a different model Schwinn!
You will save money & have a much easier build! (the 5-speed wheels with 5 sprockets on them work very well!)
The only Schwinn with springer forks in Australia is the D7. I'm sick of the bumps from the rigid forks on the Alloy Seven cruiser and it gives the Grubee motor mounts (not a good design - steel threads into aluminium) a terrible hammering. It also comes with front V-brakes cos a coaster hub alone is totally inadequate for stopping a motored bike and the caliper brakes often used with springers are a very bad brake design associated with cheap bikes. These qualities make it almost perfect for motorising and the only problem to overcome is the big Shimano 7-spd hub which accounts for about 50% of the bike's $820 price tag. I don't want to chuck the hub out and install derailleurs but I would if there were V-brake bosses on the seat stays but there aren't.
The answer lies in trying to build a 50T sprocket that will fit over a Nexus 7 hub and that is quite easy but then you need new clamping plates and asbestos rubber cut to a different radius to clamp the sprocket onto the spokes. I've thought a lot about this and I think the only good option is to design a totally new sprocket with new fittings that can be used on this model repeatedly and then keep building the same model of bike.

Last edited: