Saddle Bags?

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
So, as I have mentioned in other threads my Lady is a bit of a seamstress. We had to hold off due to the new baby but we'll be back on track as soon as we move to our new location. So we are going to make some saddle bags. We are going to try to go into production, leather, pleather?? Designs? any input on what you guys are looking for? I will even be able to do custom logo's if you dealers want 'em. So throw out ideas, I need to get some forms thought up. I'm open to paint, photoshop designs, pics of other saddle bags, anything as inspiration can go in this thread.
usflg

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I know you all want pictures but I haven't gotten em made yet, I wan't your input first. I intend to do mostly harley style saddle bags and fender straddle bags. These will be of very good quality, heading the design process will be a 60 yo seamstress that has been at it since she was ten, I intend to do multiple styles but I am only going to build a few forms to start with and would prefer to start with what is going to be the most popular. So c'mon what do you guys want/need? my estimates of 2 months before any ship out, that is if there is demand.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Snake,
As far as I'm concerned, the Harley type bags are the ticket, I don't know if "Pleather" is water resistant, but whatever you use should be just in case we get caught in the rain. I have a cruiser and don't have bags yet, but if the price was right, I'd be interested. Not asking for something for nothing, just reasonable. For size, I guess from the stock rear rack to about axle height 15"HX12"W a few " deep, like enough depth for a 1/2 gal of milk etc. Black would be best cause of the 2 stroke oil.
Looking forward to seeing prototype.

Mac

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
I am interested,But would like to see some in a brown color,similer to what some seats are made with,or those round Bell handle bar bags.Ive been looking for some,because that color will match my next build really good.Thanks for offering. David

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
I love Frost River's bike bags, but they are so god damn expensive! They don't offer black canvas with black leather...which would be a manly and awesome thing in my opinion. So, I guess my two cents is to offer the suggestion of leather and canvas. Contrast stitching would be a nice touch!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A thought...

I got a set of el'chepo "schwinn" panniers from wallyworld and after about 5000 miles of general use & abuse... well... I've mixed feelings about 'em lol but they've taught me quite a bit.

First off - they're ugly ofc, but w/e, that bike was jus' a grocery getter anyway but the saddlebags were awesome in that each would hold about the same as the standard large brown paper bag... not so awesome in that there was no way to collapse the saddlebags for when they weren't stuffed fulla bachelor chow - and THAT just sucks. Doing a couple of GPS runs with the bags out (but empty so no weight), then a couple with the bags all strapped in flat (w/bungees = ugly & a pain) and I wasn't suprised to find there was about a consistent 3mph difference (wind drag). A Harley may not care about drag - but our bikes sure as heck do. Not to mention my heels would hit the bags while pedaling - which is fine if I'm on a cargo trip, not so good all the time.

So my thought would be to make optional an "expandable" set of saddlebags, much like the better laptop cases that have a zipper going from the top of one side, around the bottom and up the other - unzip and it expands to twice the width or more - zip it up and it's flat(ish) against the bike. With the zipper recessed it wouldn't affect the looks, but it'd sure be handy... I'm actually on the lookout for a set of matching laptop bags in "plether" for my vintage ride, but there's a conspiracy afoot and they've all disappeared to be replaced w/nylon only grrr...

/end frustrated rant ;)

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Great idea's everyone thank you! OK so I am pretty much interested in everything I've just read. So my feedback is that number one Material won't be as much of an issue as just the designs themselves so the forms can be built. I'm definitely intending most if not all of my bags to be waterproof so count on that in the testing and design considerations. I will do more research into the material functions. But even with fabric that's not waterproof i can devise a waterproof inner liner.
BA, that is a sweet idea! I know exactly what you mean, consider it one of the first for sure. I want those on my bike! also as an internal feature there can be a metal frame that when the bags are extended folds out on the bottom using internal nylon straps for better load bearing capabilities!? It going to be all about the options with these being focused at the mb community, I think keeping everything customizable as possible is key. So I will offer all designs in multiple color options. Also how bout little tool bags and options suited specifically for MB's. I also intend to make a line with tail light, and battery compartment options built in.
Keep the ideas rolling. I will be moved in on the first of this next month will start work on forms as soon as we get settled in a little. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Also the first run of bags will most likely not have a set price because I will not be entirely sure of the workload involved yet. Instead I will auction them off to members of Motorbicycling(.)com only!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Ok, so research is in progress for fabrics seems we should be able to get something reasonable going. Now researching saddle bag designs to see where I'm gonna start.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
They will require support from a rack or fender depending on how you want it. My Choppers will mount right to the fender but I'll do a lot of rack mounts cause most peepls fenders aren't going to be up to hauling the groceries. Cool thing is I can do whatever bag style and the mounting option can be chose to meet the bikes requirements.

Last edited:

Codiferous

Aug 31, 2012
Miami, FL
They will require support from a rack or fender depending on how you want it. My Choppers will mount right to the fender but I'll do a lot of rack mounts cause most peepls fenders aren't going to be up to hauling the groceries. Cool thing is I can do whatever bag style and the mounting option can be chose to meet the bikes requirements.
Anything new on this awesome endeavor?