Which do u think would be a better buy...?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
they both have pulleys. the chain is non slip but is noiser and the belt has some slip but is quieter. but you didnt say how much they were. are u talking about just the engines or bike and engine. if it just the engine id go with the belt,it looks easier to install.

rayone

Nov 17, 2009
Australia
Just the engine.

The belt one cost A$450 + $50 shipping, the chain cost $365 + $45.

They're both ebay items, and the belt claims a patent that doesn't exist.

Thanks

rayone

Nov 17, 2009
Australia
Chain!!!!!!
But why? The engine has about as much power as a fart. The belt is supposed to be kevlar reinforce... but that might be BS.

It's for the Mrs, and wieght is my primary concern.

Does anyone know who well over the wheel motors work vs centered? I prefer the centered ones, but the install + weight + limited space on her bike won't work.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
You need to also consider center of gravity. Those rack mounts can be top heavy and you wouldnt want to put that on your Mrs. Look into a frame mounted 4 stroke. There are several out there to choose from. Of course my personal fav would be an EZM, but check them all out..trk

rayone

Nov 17, 2009
Australia
I agree frame mounts are the way to go BUT... her bike has very limited space and a really thick center bar 50mm (steering colum to crank).

+ I'd need to sell a kidney for shipping from US to Oz.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Is her bike a step through? Having to throw your leg up and over the engine can be a pain on a rear mount, while positioning a frame mount in a step through can have some minor problems also.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
But why? The engine has about as much power as a fart. The belt is supposed to be kevlar reinforce... but that might be BS.

It's for the Mrs, and wieght is my primary concern.

Does anyone know who well over the wheel motors work vs centered? I prefer the centered ones, but the install + weight + limited space on her bike won't work.
I don't care what anyone says, belts stretch & slip!!! & if something ever breaks, there are more people selling less expensive replacment parts for the chain drive! ;)

Also, the other arguments made here for getting her a 'in frame' engine are very good ones!!