Clutch pull lever

GoldenMotor.com

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Any clever mods out there for the locking clutch lever. Mine seems to need a little more pull when I lock it. I was thinking some sort of spacer to increase the distance between the thumb pin the the lever when locked for idling.

Any Ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pitch,
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable just a little tighter? You don't need much play in the cable and having it a little snug will not effect the clutch. You can tighten the cable at both ends with the adjustments at the handlebar lever and at the stand-off where it is mounted to the motor. There are also upgraded clutch levers available with a longer throw that might help.
Tom

Last edited:

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
ya, I have done lots of adjustments. I tried to get jims clutch actuator working as well. But failed. I will attempt to get jims actuator working tomorrow. But that is wat I needed, a slithtly longer throw in the locking pin. The lever pull is fine, its the locking that needs more distance, i think the handle has gotten compressed from the pin just enough.

Last edited:

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
As previously posted. I did this because the lever was defective and would slip from the locked position. Screw carefully placed so it would lock and increase throw. The second pic shows it locked. So far, so good..... But I would first try standard cable/clutch adjustments to remedy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crash_Fall

Jun 6, 2009
ON, Canada
I don't have any pics to post but I'm using some 3/4" strips of velcro. I've got a strip of the 'loop'
side of the velcro glued to the grip and a 5" strip of the 'hook' side with one end looped over the clutch lever. When I'm riding it just hangs there, hook side away from my knuckles. When I need to 'lock' the lever I can lift it over with a finger & stick it down to the grip with my thumb.
I don't put much faith in the 'spring pin' lock idea on a bike that vibrates the way these motor/bikes do.

Slightly off topic but still clutch lever related. On my mountain bike build, I cut about 1 1/2" off the end and mounted it 'above' the grip. Other than the need to lift your hand off the grip to squeeze it 'down'
it seems to make using the front brakes easier than 2 fingers on the clutch & 2 on the brake.
Never know when you may need to hit both 'panic levers' doing 25 mph on a trail.

I'm done typing, so your done reading. Let's Get Riding!!!brnot

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I had the same problem where locking the clutch lever did not fully disengage the clutch. I adjusted the clutch and now it is fine. Clutch is fully disengaged when lever is locked. But now it slips just a little when engaged. To cure this I wonder if you could shorten the clutch lever a little. That is just a suggestion for others who experience the slippage. I actually prefer it to slip a little. Heres why...When I peddle and release the clutch the kick-back used to be very rough and makes getting it started look really uncoordinated and also makes it very difficult for an inexperienced rider to get it started. But with just a little slippage now, if it does not start properly, instead of stopping on a dime and trying to throw me over the handlebars, instead, the clutch slippage makes for a none painful experience.

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
As previously posted. I did this because the lever was defective and would slip from the locked position. Screw carefully placed so it would lock and increase throw. The second pic shows it locked. So far, so good..... But I would first try standard cable/clutch adjustments to remedy.
+1

Good idea, I've been having the same problem and my only cure has been to carry a short length of small diameter hose and slip it between the lever and lever mount when I need extended clutch disengagement. If I adjust, I get slippage too. I also use the sliding glass door roller mod and I think it needs a bit more over-all pull at the cost of easy clutch level pulling.

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
+1
Did this mod today, worked very well. I was checking out a friends kit and saw his lever was correctly made, mine lacked enough material in the place were it needed the screw. Adds the correct throw and seems to stay put fine. I can stop carrying around a piece of hose.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Marioaz,
If I understand your photo, you drilled and tapped the lever then installed the small screw? Very clever idea and nicely executed. We need more innovation like that from guys building Motorized Bicycles. Keep those good ideas coming. Thanks.
Tom

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Marioaz, I took you idea, and expanded upon it. I to placed a screw to give me more pull and lock. Only after a few rides my screw would slip and the lever would close even with the lock. So the fix was a small washer held by that screw, works like a charm. Thanks for the idea. my next mod will be to re mount the clutch pull location on the engine, to get a more 90 degree pull.

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
2door, Norman did a post like this (mod) awhile back, pics included. I was having trouble with the lever too.

Just bought one of the 68.5cc engines and inquired before I purchased it as to whether they improved the clutch lever design, they said they did. Well, yes they improved the design but not the problem. I still cannot get it to work the way the manufacturer would like it to work. If you adjust it one way your lacking on the other and vise versa.

The clutch lever that came with my 49cc engine last december is what I would call a "heavy duty" design. It has a long handle and bigger diameter cable. It is very smooth when you depress the lever. The one that came with the 68.5cc engine I just purchased is what I would call "mini size" clutch lever. Good grief! I think they designed it for a childs hand. I can barely grip it with three fingers and the curl on the end of the lever is very uncomfortable. The cable is a much smaller diameter than the first and is very hard to pull. It has what I call "drag" areas (intermittent) when you pull the lever. I know what your thinking, its binding somewhere, no its not. The smaller cable and "mini" design and lever add up to a poor substitute for an improved version.

From what I've read and the pics I've seen they have come out with three levers so far.
The first being the "Russian lever", then the "improvement" upon that and now the "improvement" upon that.

As I see it in the pics, the Russian lever is simple by design and works as intended. You depress the lever all the way then flip the other lever to lock it. What could be simpler.

I may be wrong and I'm only speaking from close up views of this lever but when you depress the lever all the way to the grip you have total disengagement of the clutch after its locked out with the Russian style lever.

I'd rather use something that works and is simple than something that has been improved upon aesthetically that doesn't work. Yes, their so called "improvements" may look better but thats all. I have yet to try the mod described here but its on the agenda. If it doesn't work I'm going purchase one of the Russian levers.

RPM

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
As I see it in the pics, the Russian lever is simple by design and works as intended. You depress the lever all the way then flip the other lever to lock it. What could be simpler.

I'd rather use something that works and is simple than something that has been improved upon aesthetically that doesn't work. Yes, their so called "improvements" may look better but thats all.
Truer words were never spoken. Like on many types of forums people get carried away with an idea and run with it (right off the cliff). :)

The newer "high quality" clutch levers (actually BMX brake levers) not only have issues with range but are an ergonomic disaster. When panic sets in it's virtually impossible to activate and at the same time push down that button. With the self locking Russian levers just squeeze. Unlike the new ones they are self-locking. Instinct.

I bought dozens of the old style from the infamous Bryan back when they were only 6 bucks and make big money now upgrading for those who recognize the inferiority of the new type.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That is a great solution, marioaz. I could use a wee dab more pull on my clutch when locked, and your idea looks like the perfect solution.