used sparkplug in new(?) engine

GoldenMotor.com

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Today I was going to begin installing the chain on my bike. The engine came with a sparkplug installed and a spare one in a plastic bag. The supplied wrench would not fit the plug or the gear so I got my own wrench and removed the sparkplug. This sparkplug was black and smelled of fuel. I received the kit in early February and have made little progress. The other plug in the bag is nice and shinny. I put my thumb over the plug hole and turned the drive gear and it has compression. The plugs are LD Z8C. I wish I had a camera to send a picture. This makes me wonder if I have a new engine. It looks new...How could I have a used spark plug in a new engine? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks,
Pedal Pusher

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What Pablo said...and I'd also look for signs that the engine had been mounted before. Check the mounting areas and the bolts/nuts for evidence that a wrench had been applied. I recall reading here somewhere where a member had received an obviously used engine and his seller wouldn't do anything about it. Who did you buy the kit from and have you contacted them? Good luck, keep us posted, please.
Tom

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
i have an engine like that, and i took the head off to check, everything inside is black and oily. im not too worried, i think the place i orderd the engine from does a quick test before they ship, it came with the cdi attached to the spark plug and magneto. It came with a black powdercoat and it does not look like it was already used.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You've not seen the test video? .duh.dance1
Yes, but has been a good while since I bought a china kit. That vid does not really mean they do or don't pretest. .xx. Really don't recall.

Peddle pusher, 2 of the kits I have purchased, arived with obvious signs they had been started b4. Both are still running. I bet that was worrisome. I will find out and let you know

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
After spending lots of time thinking about it, the engine has to be new as both my friend and I examanined and inventoried the kit when I received it. Everything appeared new and there are no signs of scratches any indications any part had been used. The black electronics cdi unit was attached to the plug wire and the wire to the plug. Anyway, I talked to the same guy each time at Gasbike and he said the warranty is good for six months. At my progress rate the warranty may expire before I get going. Maybe I picked the wrong bike (Huffy cruiser) but nothing seems to fit nor go right so far.....
Thanks for the input.
Pedal Pusher

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Dan - I was half kidding. The test video is just a silly thing to show how they are started with an electric motor and ran for what - 5 seconds? Hardly leaving stuff on plugs. Mine have been showroom new inside. Perhaps some vendors are now putting some run time on the engines. Not something I knew before, and not a bad thing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No worries. that was me, big time. Been awake a very long time. meant nothing by it, but did come out dry as dirt. I came back into my office to do some thing else and this thread was still open. reread and went to add a "hehe" or "lol" some where and the PC crashed.

Any way, that is an awesome vid! every time I tell some one about it, I can never remember its youtube name. MB Monkey has it in his sig now, so I just look him up in "members list.

On the list of todos today was write you about some oil questions I have. was thinking starting a thread on it so 2 yrs from now I am not doing just this.