New guy here

GoldenMotor.com

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
I'm a new guy here, started getting interested in mopeds as a cheap form of transport, and there's not much more to say about me other than that, aside from reading into stuff that would be possible to attempt, eg, EFI kit for the GX35 engine.

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
Thanks! I currently have a couple ideas floating around in my head, either take my current bike, Roadmaster Adventures 700, and swap out the 18-speed pedal gearbox with an engine and 3 gears, or do a little minichopper build out of a stingray, using the same combo.

Engine being looked into is a GX35 OHC 35cc 4-stroke motor and a three-speed trannie, friction-plate clutch if possible or practical, and a mod I'm particularly interested in is the EFI kit for the engine from Ecotrons.

Ecotrons GX35 EFI kit: http://www.ecotrons.com/products/honda_gx35_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

GX35: http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx35

Also, Honda may say not to operate the engine with the cover removed, due to injuries from moving parts (cam gear is covered) or burns from muffler (would be replaced with a straight-pipe going to the rear wheel), but it would look much cooler on the frame without the cover, IMO, particularly with the stock tank replaced with an on-frame or in-frame tank.

And as for the Roadmaster that may get a moped conversion, the stock paint would be sanded off, and it would be painted rattle-can black, which would look cooler than the stock paint and decals.

In addition, I wonder if turbocharging the little 4-stroke would be too much on it or not, after it's been fuel-injected of course.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Welcome to forum jmason, I checked out the the EFI link, I got a bit of a sticker shock at 699.00, but nothing beats fuel injection. Your build ideas sound really cool, just a bit spendy if you add EFI to boot. We hope you post plenty of pictures once your build starts what ever you decide.
On the other end of the inexpensive spectrum is a steel frame 12 gauge spoke Huffy Cranbrook with a 2 stroke that can be completed and driven for less than 200.00 which is hard to believe. My son built one and drives it everyday with a huge grin on his face. I built 2 different Gt 2A bikes for about 600.00 each completed that have a built in gas tank, these are cool because you can add any components and wheels you want to the frame. Read lots before you decide. Plenty of info here on what ever you ultimately decide to build. Endless options and bikes will work. More members will chime in yet on your post. Again Welcome!!

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
As far as state laws are concerned, I'll need to go get a bike license before starting anything over here, in Oklahoma, even mopeds and scooters require a license, tag, and registration, they just don't require insurance like full-blown motorcycles.

Either way, got my first PTO/vacation coming up in a month or so, and I plan to save up a bit of dough beforehand to apply for an MSF course if there's any available, and hopefully get a bike license, and then start building either a moped or a turbodiesel* motorbike, diesel for the low RPMs, leading to tons of low-end grunt, fuel economy, and just for the cool factor of having an air-cooled single-cylinder or V-twin diesel-powered motorbike, and getting a lot of WTF looks when sticking the green nozzle in the tank, not that an EFI GX35-powered moped wouldn't be cool too, but still.

*The engine, being aircooled, would come NA, but the turbo would be added on.

These two builds in particular are what got me interested in diesel motorbikes:

*Yanmar L100 turbodiesel build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yxa1G3_nXg

*Punsun V-twin turbodiesel build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgsxiKslwRU

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome, sounds like a good plan. Should be KOOL, maybe think about a kit bike to start with till you get the diesel built. Lot less frustrating if you have a ride while building.......Curt