Building a bike for someone else

GoldenMotor.com

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't really want to build a bike for someone else, but in the last couple of days I have been asked more than a couple of times if I would do it. I would rather someone else do it and I steer people toward someone I read about on the netl

I don't consider myself a bike builder but more of an assembler of parts. (in my previous life I think I would be an "integrator". Does $150 sound reasonable for a basic build (no shift kit, although it is a better way to go)?

I really would rather steer people to someone else but don't know who else does this in my part of town. I know I can do it as long as someone does not mind waiting. I need to take a lot of breaks. I have the tools and if I don't my neighbor does.

What think I should do is make up little cards that list a couple vendors and the 2 place I know that build bike in AZ and just carry them on the bike

..bld.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I think that sounds like a reasonable price. In these times extra money is a good thing but I guess it depends on if you want to or not. I do many side jobs for extra money. I build computers for people and do custom paint work. I enjoy the extra money but sometimes it is more hassle than it is worth. Especially painting, I really hate doing it but I am told I am good at it and you can't beat the money.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think that sounds like a reasonable price. In these times extra money is a good thing but I guess it depends on if you want to or not. I do many side jobs for extra money. I build computers for people and do custom paint work. I enjoy the extra money but sometimes it is more hassle than it is worth. Especially painting, I really hate doing it but I am told I am good at it and you can't beat the money.
Putting together computers, now that is something I "just say no". People expect the world, want it done cheap and expect to be able to use it without learning anything on their own. My brother does it all the time, but when he couldn't get one to work he asked me to figure it out. He's only been doing it for like 20 years. LMAO I have one of his discarded cases behind my TV running Vista. I tried to help him with his website but I told him he needed to come up with content to put on it

It might be that Network Engineers just dont like computers. Of course after 9/11, a lot of NE's became painters helpers for a while, I know I did. It's was a big jump from 150K/yr to 15/hr

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I know in the old days that it wasn't an issue but now and in the future we are living in a sue happy world . And no disclaimers or waivers are good enough to protect you from a vigarous lawer . If you are going to build a vehicle of any kind for someone else , you are putting yourself at risk , if a collision or a stucture failure should happen . Even if they can't win a case they can eat up any pofits you make and more in the fight .

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

If you have the time, tools, don't mind doing it, and are not allergic to extra $$, I'd say go for it! ;-)

Andrew

PS
Lefty makes a good point about liability....build it right and maybe a signed as is statement or similar liability release document may be helpful...
But then again building it right would go a long ways towards preventing problems in the first place.....Oh did I mention to be absolutely sure to build it right? Well you get my point! ;-)

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I know in the old days that it wasn't an issue but now and in the future we are living in a sue happy world . And no disclaimers or waivers are good enough to protect you from a vigarous lawer . If you are going to build a vehicle of any kind for someone else , you are putting yourself at risk , if a collision or a stucture failure should happen . Even if they can't win a case they can eat up any pofits you make and more in the fight .
Unfortunately you're right. If a guy were to do a volume it would probably happen eventually.

I do bikes for people, but I pick and choose carefully. Tha last one I did was for another shop owner. The one I'm doing now is for a guy who already has several MB's.

I don't think I would do one if the customer had never ridden anything on 2 wheels and had no mechanical ability.

Jim

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I guess you just can't win. I would rather steer people to a place to get it done. Liability and Locks are real pet peeves of mine. I can think of a lot of people that I should have sued, it is just not my nature.

You can get just as dead on a bicycle without a motor.

If I build a bike it will be as safe as I can make it. I see it as some folks just don't have the tools or the space to make their own or are not mechanically inclined which is the one I would worry about the most.

I guess I will take it case by case @ $150.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
My biggest problem with building bikes for others is PART FAILURE. Its gonna happen with the cheap parts included in these kits. I to get asked alot. Just the other day a guy gave me his card at a stop light insisting I give him a call so we can hook up and start building and selling these. I think if the suppliers/manufactuers would step up and make some quality improvements to the kits I would consider the idea of building and selling, but as of now I dont see it worth the investment.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I was a partnership bodyshop owner for 15 years . We did a majority of collision work and some classic car and motorcycle restoration . The best you can do on the cheap parts you have to use is to let the customer know ahead of time what he is getting . and possibly write it down and have him sign it .You will be able to stop the finger pointing if your customer is informed and aware that crap happens to crappy parts ,and to be ready to have repairs or replacements done on a bike that gets used and abused . This can also lead to additional income for you if you can provide them with parts and labor for repairs . One example I had to use with our customers .
Question (What kind of guarantee do you give on the paint ? ) Answer (I will guarantee the actual product and the work it took to apply the paint but I can't guarantee the chipping , because I can't control the velocity of the stones that hit it .)

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
This is how I handle engine swap in cars I do for ppl. I do not promise anything will not break and if it does while I will fix it I do not cover it. Knowing they are going to race, drag the car and telling them that the faster they go the faster things break is the norm. With cars though its a little different from bikes, as Honda/acura manufacture great parts, but there is still that chance.