Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool. Thanks Dan.

After an hr of searching for how to make a radius cutter, dawned on me I could use sealed bearings for a MB hub. I been ridding wally world cheapos for so long didn't dawn on me ya don't have to use ball-bearings.

A lil more $ but want to make good stuff anyway.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
]Whooly moose lovers, Batman. The DIY ground tools work better then my fancy store bought tri-incerts, ones!

"A" first picture is with store bought turning tools. B is the DIY.

Mostly just being able to make em to size and shape.

Thanks again! Great advice and I almost didn't ask.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue but a great day to get my glasses fixed.

Always wondered. Wouldn't the glue, glue the sniffer's nose closed?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Now you have to show us it going to used for? Yep same with saw blades the resharpend ones are always better the new ones...................Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
cool Curt. I didn't know that. Makes sense.

The sheave is for a 4stroke engine. Have to make a plate and shaft reducer now.

The sheave came out great for a 1st attempt. The belt has 2 angles and was a bit of a pain.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Stop, I major big error make.

Made some minor but important mistakes but nothing catastrophic or making the sheave scrap. LOL, yet.

Mounted and keyed to shaft. Spins nicely;

dance1

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanx, Guys!

This will be the 3rd reduction on that back plate. I really gotta break down and make another one. This one is starting to look like it could take a shotgun blast but got shot up with a 50 cal.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Odder Brodder, Dan!

Odd thing. I have a courier business and here in CT, U.S.. I end up in a lot of machine shops and production facilities. People who do this (produce parts) for a living always seem calm and happy. Not bouncing off the walls, ecstatic happy. Just sort of content. I've never seriously considered doing this for a living in some one elses factory. For all the many down sides & pit falls of being self employed, it works for me. In school for this stuff, I would tell fellow students the above about workers seeming happy. Mostly met with skepticism.

But it really is pleasant. Ya have the time and actually avoid working fast and enjoy the task. Ya have the time to consider other stuff while working. Kinda like driveing. (Which I also love to do)

But really, the coolest part is instead of thinking "they 'oughta make a...."
Ya can think it, mock it up and then make it.

That is just too cool.

.wee.

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Interesting take on machinists Dan. I had been self-employed my entire life until about ten years ago when I went to work for a friend in his machine shop. In meeting many other guys in the "business" over the years I would say that you are correct for the most part. I always enjoyed the work but the business side could be a real challenge. That was one reason I took the easy route and went to work for someone. It was right before the economy was about to tank and I just had a real bad feeling about what was coming.

The shop I worked at purred along for several more years with most of the work dependent on industry and construction, but the past several years have brought a steady with it a steady decline in work. That along with some health issues led me to step out of the picture. I still go to the shop and have lunch at least once a week with the guys and come home smelling like machine shop.

I would agree that for the most part people who are skilled craftsmen/women in most trades are happy. It's pretty demanding but the satisfaction you get from your work and helping folks repair machinery or make new parts always makes the challenge worth it.

I've always thought everyone should try being self-employed. It's guaranteed to change your perspective on the business community.

Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh big time, Dan. The least happy person in most shops is the accounts receivable or owner. Crazy rough business. Aerospace is the huge consumer here. The expense of equipment and trying to keep staff busy (@ $15 to $80 an hour) on machines that cost, can cost more then a house has to be a nightmare. At a markup rate of 17 or so percent! And using literally space age and exotic raw materials.

Really funny thing. Our commencement speaker gave everyone in the class a little gift bag/welcome to the world/we have work for you. In the goody bag was a mouse pad with his company's logo. Embossed on the back was the very clear "Made in China"

The subject of his speech was "American manufacturing. Production is returning to the U.S."

After, he did not find it half as funny as I did.

...and then, didn't offer me a job. Duhhh .duh. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been planning a saddle mounted 4 smoke build ever since I saw Dave's Junk Yard Dog build. Yrs back I bought some flat steel to make the mount and it sat rusting and collecting spiders since.

But is .250 thick and real hard steel. Same as the practice set I bought. (Thanks again guys!)

But was cutting it up to make key stock as I need an odd size. But then ground a sliver of it into a tool. Worked awesome! I now have enough tool stock for life. Gotta get some half inch but this works great.

Could make a hundred at least out'a this flatstock.

Attachments

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Dan, you are correct with reference to getting paid by customers. I know in the last few years with my business long standing customers were stringing out paying me. Some I had had 15-20 years as customers. Money wasn't coming in to them so it wasn't trickling down to me. I have seen the same thing happen at the machine shop. Big, national outfits taking 60-90 days and if you don't like it, too bad.

So now you are a tool maker by trade!

Dan

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Good find on that steel if it's hard enough to make cutting tools out of... I've just recently set up my mini lathe up here at the shop and I'm in the process of truing it back up, it's amazing how far off these things can get just by oving them from one workbench to another... I'd love to find a piece of 1/2" thick plate steel to bolt mine down to just to add some extra rigity to it and help it hold it's trueness if I ever have to move it again.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I love that song, Greg.

My first ship was a bear to work and we were always exhausted and in danger. (mostly from exhaustion and inexperience)

But someone would call out "Don't worry" and every other crew member there would reply in unison; "Be Happy!" lol

My avatar is "Happy" and the star of such threads as "Happy travels" I gotta get that one going again. Really fun thread... http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=8165

The personification of feelin' good or "Happy Time" and MBs sorta deal.
(LOL, I gotta lay off the coffee...)

dnut

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan I wish I could work in my shop, its too dang cold. Y'all can have this stuff back, its 32° with the wind blowing. The good news is the temperature is supposed to rise to near 70° by weeks end.