top end rebuild

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey everybody.

So, a few weeks ago, I had a couple problems with the bike. As it turns out, one of the pins keeping the piston rings in place came out, and the ring caught on both ports, essentially trashing the piston and cylinder. Bummer.

So I need to rebuild the top end. Should be ordering parts soon. I just want to make sure I've got what I need to get this thing going again.

Here's what I have:

70CC RING SET TYPE D
[remove]
$10.99 $10.99
ROLLER BEARING FOR WRIST PIN HIGH PERFORMANCE STEEL CAGE
[remove]
$9.99 $9.99
70CC DAX TYPE J PISTON
[remove]
$19.99 $19.99
70CC TYPE J CYLINDER WITH 8MM STUDS
[remove]
$49.99 $49.99
CYLINDER BASE GASKET 8MM STUD HOLES

I'm kind of disappointed this is going to cost $100. Almost might as well buy a whole new kit, lol. That and I'm going to take a MC riding course next month and hopefully buy a MC early next year...

Does this sound like everything I'll need to get back on the road?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you sure all those parts are compatable? I know the roller bearing won't retrofit where there was a bushing...

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Just buy a replacement motor. I don't know if that's dax sells'em but zoombicycles does for right around a hundred. BTW I ride motorcycles too but that doesn't mean you have to get rid of the motor bike!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Oh, I didn't know they weren't compatible. I have an older motor so I don't think it has the bearing. All I know is that piston moves around like a bobble head, lol.

Looks like Spooky only has the top end for the 60cc, which isn't the same size as my 70cc.

Thanks for the zoombicycles tip, I'm going to order from there. $95 ain't bad...Dax sells the motors for like $150..might as well just buy the whole kit, lol. Also, I know it doesn't mean I have to ditch the MB, but I'd like to spend less on the MB and save more for a mc :)