Need some help

GoldenMotor.com

hollipl

Feb 29, 2012
Kentucky
Hi guys,

I have been interested in motorized bicycles since I was a kid, and I've finally decided to build one because I will be starting college soon and it will be a great way to save gas. I'm still in my planning phase of the project, (and also waiting on my tax returns to come back so i will have funding for the project)
Any ways, I was hoping you guys could take a look at the bike and engine I have picked out, and maybe tell what a jackshaft is and how it can help me out. Also, if you have any recommendations of a cheaper/better engine, or any tips that can help me at all, please don't hesitate to post. I am a newbie and this is my first build ever. I appreciate any and all help. So:

This is the engine I am looking at buying:
http://www.bikeberry.com/4-stroke-pull-start-48cc-bicycle-engine-kit-epa-certified.html

I really want a four stroke because I don't wanna always have to buy oil too, and go through the trouble of mixing, Plus I like the sound of the 4 stroke better :] I would like to just be able to put gas in and go.

this is the bike I was considering,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx-29-Cruiser-Bicycle/16203481

but Im still open to debate and I was hoping you guys could recommend some bikes to me as well. i was kinda waning a mountain bike, but I was thinking a cruiser sort would be easier to build. More importantly, will the engine I was wanting fit on the bike I want? And is it nessecary to get the jackshaft?

I don't have any idea what a jackshaft does and I was hoping someone could give me a link to a good one, and also whether the jackshaft would work better on a mountain bike or cruiser, and whether I really need it or not. It said if you live near alot of hills you might need one. I do live around alot of hills. But why does the jackshaft help that?

overalll, My goal of what I want to get out of this is to be really fuel effieceint. I was watching a video that said there are some uprades and aftermarket parts I could get to improve engine performance. If so, what Might those parts be and can I fit it in my budget? link to parts would be great

Overall, my Budget is 600$ tops. I can't go a dollar higher. So if you guys could help me come up with the best I can do for that, I would really appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sounds like you have a plan, H!

Best advice I could offer would be for you to review a whole bunch of the threads here on the forum. There is SO much good information here!

and Welcome Aboard!
rc

hollipl

Feb 29, 2012
Kentucky
What I mostly need to know is about the jackshaft.
Should I buy a mountain bike with all the gears and a jackshaft to use them,
or will I be okay with just the motor kit and a cruiser bike? Cause the cruiser bike only has one back gear, so why would I need a jackshaft or shifter kit to use extra gears when the cruiser doesnt have extra like the mountain bike..
And does it matter whether I have a 2 stroke or four stroke engine, with either a jackshift or shifter kit, and which bike should I put it on?I need someone who understands this to point me in the right direction please. Do I need a jackshaft in my situation or will I be okay without it?
Cause the only Shiftkit/jackshaft kit I can find are these ones:
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=pui3g7tl6ijnil0tmej3ho9m45

and they are all pretty expensive, especially if I'll be needing the 4 stroke one. is there Any cheaper option? last Time I looked into building one I seem to remember jackshafts being quite a bit cheaper.

Also, is a jackshaft and a shift kit the same thing? Ahhh Some one clear this crap up for me please

and its pretty expensive. I'd like to be able to shift gears and get more out of the motor if I can.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
I will chime in here and try to give you some insight, as I am still a newbie myself but with a little experience under my belt. First I will warn you not to go with that engine!!!!....the transmission thats on it is a dual chain driven mess from everything Ive read....and Ive read a ton and seen many headaches with that specific engine. At the top of the page directly under the BikeBerry advertisement there is a Google search bar that is tuned to this site, and it is worth my bikes weight in gold. If you type in "BikeBerry 5g" you will see what your getting into with that engine. I would recommend getting a EZM kit, that would be the kit that you would build onto your bike and forget. The only problem is your budget, the EZM kit usually is $600 by itself. The next step down, and Ive read that with little work, the Grubee 4GT kit is very reliable also, and ballparking the cost I think they are around $400.

Next, the need for a jackshaft shift kit. Notice I reffered to them in the same breath, a jackshaft is part of a shift kit. Personally, I would never have a need for one. If this is going to be your first build I would suggest you stay away from it also. Its more parts being built onto your bike that may fail. Im not nocking your mechanical ability, my build tested my mechanical ability to be light on my feet and constantly problemsolve. I just now have gotten the bike to where I think it is "probably" reliable. Keep in mind my bike is a 2 stroke also and I would recommend you go with a 4 stroke to avoid the problems I and many other members have encountered. My next build is going to be a Harbor Freight 99cc Predator 4 stroke, I will be starting it in a couple of weeks. Any how back to the point, less parts = less problem solving, keep it simple for your first build and save the jackshaft shift kit for your next bike if you think you will need it after building your first. You will be suprised as to the capabilities of the motor once you have it on your bike.

Last word of advice from me. This is going to be something you get very attached to, pick a bike you like and can fit your engine. If you prefer the look of a mountain bike go with that or vice versa. If you do go with a mountain bike to begin with later on you could just add your jackshaft shift kit to it, if you decided you need it. The more time you spend here the more you will notice everyone here being addicted to build their bikes. You may build a bike that most certainly will never be done.

Anyhow, I hope I have been some insight to the questions you have, trust me you will have plenty more everyday. Use that search feature I mentioned earlier, it will answer many of your questions without you haveing to ask. Good Luck!