Need help with first build

GoldenMotor.com

Stradguy93

Jan 25, 2012
Montevallo,Al
I am looking at building my first motorized bike. I am wanting to convert my road bike with 700x23 wheels to a motorized bike. I have a guy near me selling a new Grubee Skyhawk 66cc engine kit and am wondering if it is going to provide enough power to move me along. (200lbs) Just needing some thoughts on this, thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
Your weight won't be a problem. There are members here that out weigh you, by a lot. Gearing will make a difference. Gear low (bigger sprocket on rear wheel) for hills. Gear higher (smaller sprocket) for flat terrain.

These are not motorcycles so be prepared to pedal assist on take offs from a dead stop and up steep hills.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.
Tom

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
kits appear to be going for 160$ plus on the net, then add shipping cost and you will be right up around 200$ usually. you can surely keep your eyes out for a deal here and there. But 200$ on CL does not seem all that outrageous for a new kit.
As for speed and such, I am 220 lbs and can cruise around rather well in the mid 20's on the 66's that I have had. There are things that can be done to go faster if thats what you desire. Use the search bar and check out upgrades people have done!

Welcome to the forum!

Stradguy93

Jan 25, 2012
Montevallo,Al
Thanks guys, looking to make a nice cruiser for around town mostly on flat land. I ride long distance on the road for fun but i'm into mechanics and am interested in making a motorized bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative kits? Looking to put it on a large or extra large road bike frame.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
There are many options out there! First off figure out what it is exactly that you want.... quality, dependability, start looking into a 4 stroke set up. It will cost more money to begin with but will save in the long run
If you want to simply just have fun and cruise around town, a 2 stroke works just fine. With a 2 stroke you will of course have to mix the oil / gas and you will most likely be tinkering with it often. I have only had 2 stroke kits and have enjoyed them very much.

Not sure if that helps at all, just my opinion. I would strongly suggest doing some research on this sight regarding safety. Be sure that when you get your bike cruising strong, you can also stop strong. again just my 2 cents