66cc Bike Engine Caught On FIRE!!!

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
gas tanks almost never explode, just in hollywood, they will burn spouting a huge flame, for it to explode it would have to rupture dumping all the gas at once so it could mix with air.

mxchris727

Aug 10, 2009
Wilton, CT
But wouldn't the heat from the sun cause the gas vapors to expand thus creating pressure in the tank? I'm not overly worried, Ill just put a white towel over it if I ever do leave it in the sun.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
But wouldn't the heat from the sun cause the gas vapors to expand thus creating pressure in the tank? I'm not overly worried, Ill just put a white towel over it if I ever do leave it in the sun.
The tank cap is vented. If pressure could build up, so could a vacuum when fuel leaves the tank,and the motor would starve for fuel.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The only thing that could cause that is riding your bike until the motor was at peak temps and the fuel line was bumped off of the filter or petcock and spilled directly on the head, jug and/or exhaust. Heats it, vapors are there, they ignite, melts the fuel line, spill out everywhere on fire.

I don't buy the "I got my camera, the fire extinguisher didn't work" though. I don't see any fire extinguisher retardant anywhere on the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ahhh, where is that fuel line that was supposed to have leaked? It burned up without a trace?
Hmmmm. Me thinks sumpins fishy here.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I don't see how your fuel line was able to break at the spot where it goes over the petcock. The wind is blowing away from that side of the tank, so it really wouldn't melt as quickly as going inside and looking out the window.

I'm still a skeptic.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
hi,
i'll buy your block off of you. let me know how much you want for it shipped to colorado springs, co 80921. i mainly need the engine case.

if you dont get this one...i know that dax is trying to get bottom ends in...spoke with him this morning

and ouch man that sucks

JdubMotorMan

May 9, 2011
los angeles county
So, after riding my bike for a good hour or so (just about new with less than 200 miles on it), I turned it off and left it outside to cool off. I walk into my house and peek through the window just to make sure it hasn't fallen over and what do I see? A BIG ball of fire and a cloud of black smoke coming from it. The moment I realized that it was my beloved bike that was on fire (-_-), I kindof just stood there in disbelief. My reaction was to run outside and blow at it (lmao), but it was leaking fuel and that was keeping the thing burning. After putting it out with a fire extinguisher, an autopsy reveled that not only did the fuel line harden and crack, but the shut-off petcock did nothing to stop the fuel flow.

The engine was burnt toast (literally) with every possible plastic and rubber piece bunt to a crisp. The engine had absolutely no compression and the plastic air filter cover melted into the carb so it is not salvageable. I'm guessing that the heat warped the thin aluminum engine so it's junk. I have just ordered a new slant head engine from gasbike.net: Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit and am waiting for it to arrive. Has this happened to anyone else?? Also, do you think that the engine I've ordered is good? It says the fuel line does NOT get hard over time like the old ones lol

Yes, I did pull out my phone and snap a few quick pics ;)
I noticed your clutch cover is off in one of the pics ... do you ride it like that with the gears exposed ?

mxchris727

Aug 10, 2009
Wilton, CT
Yes because I had gotten a little grease in the clutch awile back and it needs constant adjusting. So far, I have had no problems with my pants catching or rubbing. I also think the clutch stays a little cooler when the cover is off.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There's a reason there's a cover there - and it's not so it can be taken off to run cooler. The only reason it would get hot is if you're butterflying the clutch, treating it like you've got gears based on how hard you pull the lever.

Speculating is the wrong word, as he doesn't claim it IS slipping. "Will make it slip" is future tense, and that's more like prophesying.