Where to find my desired bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Wanderer

Dec 11, 2010
Gallipolis
Im new to this forum!I would like to know where on the net I could find my desired bicycle.Im into the retro beach cruisers with the faux gas tanks.Bikes like the Schwinn Phantom and the Manhatten Flyer.I wish to get the Flyer but all the sites I found requires picking it up at the shop after ordering online or finding a dealer.Any of those types of bikes between the $100-$300 level.I really appreciate it!:)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Im new to this forum!I would like to know where on the net I could find my desired bicycle.Im into the retro beach cruisers with the faux gas tanks.Bikes like the Schwinn Phantom and the Manhatten Flyer.I wish to get the Flyer but all the sites I found requires picking it up at the shop after ordering online or finding a dealer.Any of those types of bikes between the $100-$300 level.I really appreciate it!:)
Hmmm..."$100-$300". I'm sure if anybody else knows where to find new tank style cruisers in this price range, they'll jump in after me, but I can only think of two places off hand: Craigslist and Ebay. Meaning you could end up with a genuine vintage which, depending on condition, isn't all bad. Some run up to $400 though, for the rarer ones. And quite a few of those old frames were really solid. Bairdco could probably tell you some of the best to watch for. Rollfast, anything from Cleveland Welding, Colson, to name a few. I lucked out, I saved a vintage JC Higgins from the trash - it was essentially free. Something to think about.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While just a little over your quoted price range (ain't that how it always seems ta go lol?) by far one of the strongest vintage looking yet new bikes available is Worksman's selection of "industrial" bicycles Worksman Cycles - Industrial Bicycles Home

While at first seemingly costly, another advantage with Worksman bikes is you needn't "upgrade" much if anything to make it engine-worthy as even the wheelset is quite stout with over sized spokes. Given that's often one of the first things replaced - the savings of not needing to drops it quite comfortably back into your stated price range.

Additionally, the Worksman is such an ideal platform that some of our members and vendors are offering custom made parts and accessories for it - including a fuel tank that's anything but "faux" ;)

As for lookin' for an actual vintage ride? Patience... LOTS of patience lol

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
word homie if yer gonna buy a bike a worksman is a good choice i am envious of them myself you might also try ur local craigslist and get lucky

just please dont shop wally world for your own sake you will have to replace almost eveything on the bike eventually

Wanderer

Dec 11, 2010
Gallipolis
Thanks lads!I had a motorized bike (for a while).Last April I had my first motorized vehicle,a lovely black cruiser (don't know the name of the company but it had a sticker with the name Maui on it)I was planning to ride this baby to the skate park or to my high school.Just when I tested it out I got to carried away and hit a minivan that was going 60 mph (which turned out to be one of my friends mother driving).Broke my right femur,four days in the clinic,but healed a month and a half latter (which would of at least took 6 months to heal!)

just please dont shop wally world for your own sake you will have to replace almost eveything on the bike eventually
I know,I bought a Huffy Cranbrook which had a bad chain (broke in half!) and the bolts that hold the bracket to the rear fender fell off.Im thinking about buying a Panama Jack!