centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
I bought one of these from a site called assistedbikes.com but they seem to be out of business. Anybody know where I can get one

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
For what kind of motor and what size? A picture and/or description would help a lot....there are hundreds of different centrifugal clutches available.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Actually, I was perusing the official Grubee site looking at the new Skyhawks and they have a 2-stroke pull start motors with cent clutches. This is the direct no BS link to the Skyhawk line.
Untitled Document

The pull starts are a little farther down the page, and Motorized Bicycles - Bicycle Motors - Bicycle Engine Kits - Bike Motors - Bicycle Motor Parts sells the kits for under $300.
I kind of like the looks of them, and they do open another window for different kinds of builds where you don't want the pedals and drive chains connected just to start it.

dmpatanis

Aug 23, 2010
Greece
I want to know,the motor with centrifugal clutch we dont need to pedalling when i want to turn on my motor????
Which kit is the best with centrifugal clutch or not????And why????
Thanks a lot.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I want to know,the motor with centrifugal clutch we dont need to pedalling when i want to turn on my motor????
Which kit is the best with centrifugal clutch or not????And why????
Thanks a lot.
No you don't need to pedal to start the motor...you pull the rope and just let the motor idle....when you want to go, just turn the throttle and you're off. It's really personal preferance....some people like them and some people don't. I ride a 4-stroke and it is centrifugal clutched....I like them!

dmpatanis

Aug 23, 2010
Greece
Sorry but you tell me that we dont need to use the clutch handle???????
I order one motor with centrifugal clutch and i must know.

tipetu

Jul 19, 2010
Bergen, Norway
your normal 2 stroke has a manual clutch. You may order this extra sentrifugal clutch if you`d like. Then you just disconnect the clutch handle and that way the clutch on the motor will be engaged all the time. When you have a sentrifugal clutch you cannot start it in speed. You will have to start it with the pull start.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Personally I like 'bump starting' but I have a question...
It looks like the Cent Clutch Grubee also comes with a wider 3-piece crank set so your pedals clear the wider left side of the motor.

Does you bike have a 3-piece crank? Or just a 1-piece like a Huffy?

You may have to take it to a bike store to put the new wider crank in.
Just a heads up.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I've used both a regular and centrifugal clutch (the former on my 2 stroke and the latter on my 4 stroke) and I definitely prefer the manual clutch. The only downside is that the manual clutch is not strong enough to accelerate from a stop. Once you get going though, you have more control over how power is being applied to your rear wheel.

For example, I can change how quickly I engage the engine with a manual clutch whereas a centrifugal always engages at about the same rate and at the same engine speed. Centrifugal clutches are also a pain if you like to blip your throttle while coasting down a hill.

It's really up to you though. If you do get the centrifugal clutch, let me know what you think about it.

tipetu

Jul 19, 2010
Bergen, Norway
I encountered problems with the pedal hitting the pull start. Took a torch and bent the pedal. It`s all wobbly and uneven now hehe

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Let me say this about the clutch handle. I don't have a pull start on my motor for that reason, not enough room. I still have the clutch handle. With the cent. clutch you need it to bump start the motor. After it's started you don't use it anymore until you stop the motor. I bought a twist grip clutch handle. It's the same as the throttle handle. I twist it, set the button to hold it in, pedal up to speed and release the clutch. When the motor fires, off you go. The reason for the twist grip was to eliminate some of the clutter on the handlebars, that's all. If you keep the clutch handle you don't need the pull start..shft.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Is there a way to set the idle and engange speed on the sentrifugal clutch? buy different weights or so?
Just set your idle so it does not engage.
That's all you need to worry about.
Unless you want like try to pop wheelies by having to rev to half throttle before it kicks in every time these just isn't any point.

The matched motor kit with Cent is set to engage when it should.

Personally I love a manual clutch and a Jackshaft to a 3-speed hub.
I can start up with a pedal or two in low, and with 2 free-wheels (crank and hub) and only one chain when I let off the gas she drops to quite idle with no drag and will coast forever ;-}

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just set your idle so it does not engage.
That's all you need to worry about.
Unless you want like try to pop wheelies by having to rev to half throttle before it kicks in every time these just isn't any point.

The matched motor kit with Cent is set to engage when it should.

Personally I love a manual clutch and a Jackshaft to a 3-speed hub.
I can start up with a pedal or two in low, and with 2 free-wheels (crank and hub) and only one chain when I let off the gas she drops to quite idle with no drag and will coast forever ;-}
Too actually coast, you must disengage the clutch manually, otherwise you're not coasting.

On a cent. clutch, you let off on the gas and the clutch disengages very quickly and you can coast forever....and ever. But I'm refering to my 4-stroke and it's cent. clutch set-up.

To change the RPM that a cent. clutch engages is accomplished with different tension springs. It's quite simple.