Newbie looking into doing a kit for getting around

GoldenMotor.com

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
So I'm new to the forum (obviously as my title suggests) and have already found this place to be a wealth of information. I'm hoping to gear up a new bike with a kit for the first time soon. Looking for something that is simple as possible to use as I've never ridden a motorcycle before. I've looked a lot at the 4 stroke engines and was thinking that'd be the way to go. More expensive but by far worth it for the ease and reliability.

Rob

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Seems my biggest hurdle is going to be getting a bike kit living here in California. The damn C.A.R.B. thing means most places won't ship to me. I have seen a lot of suggestions and hopefully I can get around that issue. It really seems kind of silly, any car is still going to put out a lot more smog emissions than a small motor I'd ever use.

Last edited:

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
Seems my biggest hurdle is going to be getting a bike kit living here in California. The damn C.A.R.B. thing means most places won't ship to me. I have seen a lot of suggestions and hopefully I can get around that issue. It really seems kind of silly, any car is still going to put out a lot more smog emissions than a small motor I'd ever use.
Check out venice motor bikes. hes in Cali and has what ya want

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Hey nogig, thanks for the reference. He does have some good bikes, I'm guessing I'd have to contact him direct to work out an order. I am more looking to purchase a motor kit and put it all together myself though.

Granted I've seen a couple locals selling 2 stroke bikes already put together that I've been very tempted to go check out. One said the bike and engine need some work though if it can be fixed it would have been one heck of a deal. I just wish I knew more about them right now so I'd know if it would be worth it.

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
So I am getting closer to making some solid decisions on my first build. Thinking I'll be going with a Dax Titan 4 stroke IF kit on a cruiser. I've been looking at bikes and was leaning heavily toward a Micargi Stealth as it looks solid and I love the flat black. Then I ran across an ad on Craigslist for a GT Dyno Duece with a fat back tire and fancy tread wheel. My first thought was that the fat wheel might be a pain to have to adjust a kit to but then it occurred to me that the extra wide frame might make for much easier clearance for the chain of the IF kit. Especially if I was able to replace that rear wheel with a normal size one. The thick front forks and the high handlebars should make for a comfortable ride too. I've seen a few others make them into motorized bikes so I know it's can be done. Creative Engineering bought a bunch a couple years back and sold them to members here so hopefully some of those guys can give me a heads up. Of course if I keep it stock my concern is of course replacing the fancy wheels on the bike may not be easy. Anyone have any thoughts. Big time thanks in advance!

ezdoesit

Jun 17, 2010
Michigan
Welcome to the forum robb! We have a lot of Great Guys here, you should have no trouble Buying, selling , and trading! Not to mention the wealth of knowlege here to tap into! Good luck on your projects!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey robbdaman, welcome to the forum, check this bike out if you like aluminum...

I got one shipped to California for $150...shipping was free! A great bike for the money.

I also got a 4-stroke Huasheng engine kit shipped complete to California for $399 total. Cheap and Chinese...what can ya say?

Attachments

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
So I found this bike on Craigslist and really want to purchase it, it is labeled as a Manhattan beach cruiser, not sure what brand and the orange is a tad painful but I like the construction. Anyone know if this is a Schwinn or what brand? I tried Google but came up with nothing. I am wondering if the frame has enough room for a 4-stroke. Otherwise I am certainly thinking about copying your purchase Scotto. It is a Manhattan brand cruiser from a couple years ago or so. They look to be pretty solid, I'm going to take a look at the bike tomorrow. =)

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Wow that is a sick looking bike hope you can get it. Welcome by the way if you have any questions please ask me any time I am known for my informative videos my website is full of good info videos too drop by my site some time check it out.
Cheers
Terry

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
Well I bought the bike I posted above, the owner threw in some rear baskets covered in leather like the seat. Hopefully I'll be able to work all that in with the motor and it'll be great for heading to the grocery store. :) The shiny metallic orange is crazy, I think I may keep it though. I'll have to hit the auto paint store and see if I can match it for the tank. I'm really excited! This will be in the next couple weeks! scratg

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
Welcome to the forum... I have a dax 4 stroke that has been outstanding and the support from him was invaluable with my limited mech. ability :)